Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Does an external USB hard disc need at least one primary partition ?

XP Hardware

Old 17-02-2008

Does an external USB hard disc need at least one primary partition ?

Hi folks, I need a small advice from you all regarding my first ever external Hard disk. I?m going to use this External drive with my XP computer to take backup of all important datas. But before I do that I must create some partitions. Here I wanted to know if I need at least a dummy primary partition on this hard disc or I can simply put just extended/logical partitions. Thanks for your advices and suggestion in advance.

Old 17-02-2008

Re: Does an external USB hard disc need at least one primary partition ?

Who told you do this all these unnecessary stuffs? Dude, external hard drives are just like USB Flash Drives. Just connect them to the computer on any USB port and start file transfer. You don?t need to make partition, delete partition and all those useless things.
Old 17-02-2008

Re: Does an external USB hard disc need at least one primary partition ?

Even I was going to say the same thing. Very first thing is I don?t know what you meant by creating dummy primary partition. Anyways, there is no requirement in any way that external HDDs contain only logical drives within an extended partition. And why do you need to create the partitions btw?

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , , , ,