Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

CD RW/DVD rom reads and writes CDs, but doesn't read DVDs

XP Hardware

Old 09-02-2008

CD RW/DVD rom reads and writes CDs, but doesn't read DVDs

I have got a computer with Hitachi HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4482B DVD reader with me and it will only read and write CDs and cannot read DVDs. When I go into Device Manager then it tells me that the driver is working properly but when I get into help the I will get an error message about the correct help file that is unable to be displayed. What should I do to fix this issue?

Old 09-02-2008

Re: CD RW/DVD rom reads and writes CDs, but doesn't read DVDs

Can you try to go to the below Lenovo website and download the firmware update for the HLDS GCC-4482B CD-RW drive that you have
http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/deta...ut=printLenovo

Also, it seems to me that the optical drive that you have is a Hitachi manufactured, so try to go to the official Hitachi website and see if there are any other downloads for the same drive.
Old 14-02-2008

Re: CD RW/DVD rom reads and writes CDs, but doesn't read DVDs

I think that there is some kind of problem with the DVD laser which is the most common failure for these kind of devices, which make the dvd unreadable.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware