Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Qualcom 3G data card freezes laptop when inserted

XP Hardware

Old 06-02-2008

Qualcom 3G data card freezes laptop when inserted

I purchased a Vodafone 3g/GPRS data card and package for use in western country and it was working fine for 1 month. After that when I inserted the card in the computer then it got completely locked. So, I left the western country to my home back and am still trying to solve this problem. The card is still locked up in my laptop which is inserted already. I have also downloaded some software from Vodafone but still it will not work. I am on Windows XP and am using the Qualcomm 3G CDMA device pcmcia slot insertion. Can anyone please help me out. Thanks

Old 06-02-2008

Re: Qualcom 3G data card freezes laptop when inserted

It seems to me that the data card itself is having some kind of fault which is locking up the computer in which it is inserted into. Have you tried to change the card itself?
Old 06-02-2008

Have you tried booting different operating system and then test the pc card when the new OS is running. You can try to get Knoppix or Linux Livecd or Ubuntu for the testing. You dont have to install any software for those and then boot to a linux desktop by inserting the linux CD and then try to boot the computer with it. After that try inserting the card and check if that is working properly. Incas the pc doesnt freeze then you can know for sure that there is a driver issue in Wondows and if the computer freezes in Linux then it surely is a hardware problem.
Old 07-02-2008

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion, I never might have come accross that solution, I have a Ubuntu Boot CD and will try to test it the way you have said and then post back the results.
Old 08-02-2008

So, I did what you have recommended and found out that the device is loacking up the Ubuntu install, so I guess that it is definitely a problem with the hardware itself, time for me to take back the laptop for repair.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , , , ,