Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Disable Print to File option of printer

XP Hardware

Old 06-09-2007

Disable Print to File option of printer

Hi, today am here to get a small tip regarding my printer. I am using this printer with my Windows XP Home. You mght aware there use to be an option called ?print to file? in print dialog box. I want to disable this option permanently. Is there any way to do the same? Also can I restrict the option ?Add printer? for other users?

Thanks in advance.

Old 15-09-2007

Re: Disable Print to File option of printer

Yep, you can do it from Group Policy Editor. Just go to Start, Click RUN, type ?gpedit.msc? and press Enter. Under GP editor, navigate to Admin Template/Control Panel/Printers/ and make the changes.
Old 17-09-2007

thanx buddy, I'll try what you suggested. Will get back shortly.
Old 28-01-2011

Hi miki_miki30,
Were you able to disable it finally? Can you please provide any ideas or suggestions in this regard? I am looking to do the same thing i.e. Disable the print to file option in Internet Explorer, Windows XP SP3.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kunal
Old 28-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunal999 View Post
Hi miki_miki30,
Were you able to disable it finally? Can you please provide any ideas or suggestions in this regard? I am looking to do the same thing i.e. Disable the print to file option in Internet Explorer, Windows XP SP3.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kunal
Follow the below method to solve your issue:
  1. Start Regedit
  2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Restrictions
  3. Add a DWORD with a name of:
    NoPrinting: That will remove Print and Print Preview from the File menu.
  4. Give it a value of 1 to turn on the restriction
  5. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Toolbars \ Restrictions
  6. Create a DWORD with a name of :
    Code:
    NoToolbarOptions       Disables adding, removing, or moving toolbars.
  7. Give it a value of 1 to enable this restriction.
Old 29-01-2011

Thanks James !
However I was looking to disable only the "Print to File" checkbox after the Print dialog opens. I guess that is not a function of IE but either the printer drivers or Windows.
Anyways, thanks for your help. This is also helpful.

-Kunal
Old 29-01-2011

You can try to do is to open the window in a browser which has "toolbars=0" or "menubars=0". window.open("http://www.yoursite.com/yourpage.asp", null, "menubars=0 toolbars=0");

Remember, this is client side JavaScript. Put it between <SCRIPT> and </SCRIPT> tags.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , ,