Thread: Windows XP does not recognize any of my sata drive

Windows XP does not recognize any of my sata drive

I need some help to fix my Sony Vaio laptop. The model number of the laptop is VGN-FZ140E. I had downgraded the same from Windows Vista to Windows XP. After installation the system is unable to find the system hard drive. It has a Toshiba MK2035GSS sata hard drive. The system also fails to boot. I cannot go with fresh installation again. I contacted Sony tech support but they did not offer proper guidance. Any chances to fix it.

It is because XP might lack a proper SATA drivers. Due to which it is unable to detect the hard drive. You have to download fresh drivers for your system. You can find that on the official sony website. First run system recovery and install Vista back again. Then arrange for proper Windows XP drivers. You have to first put the same in your system. Also if Windows XP disc is unable to see the drive then you have to create the XP drive with your drive driver.

There can be dispute among the internal controller in Windows. There is nothing much you can do. You must use Vista only as it came pre-intsalled. What problem are you having with Vista. The safest method is to dual boot the system. Just shrink the existing partition and create one more. In the second one add Windows XP. You can try using a bootable usb with appropriate SATA drivers. Also go in BIOS and there you can find settings related to your hard drive.

I think there are less chances that you can find proper drivers for your laptop. But if you are going to install XP then you have to locate each drivers from scratch. The best way to find that your system supports or does not supports XP is visiting the product official page. If there are no XP drivers then simply ignore install it. Do not wipe out the recovery partition. You might loose everything.

I am also struggling to install XP on the same laptop. A client has asked to give a old operating for some older apps. But the same is not working well. I had tried various drivers but nothing worked well. It is better if you stick with Vista only.

Hi Charles I have the same sony laptop as you. Help!!

I read through your postings and have downloaded the drivers you suggested. I installed the chip set driver on to a floppy disk and hooked up the USB floppy drive to my computer, I then tried to load Windows XP, I pushed F-6 during the start up, the start up loads the driver from the A-Drive. Mycomputer sees the SATA drive, and begins to install XP to the formated pertition that I selected and then provides a message to me that says "Please Insert into A-Drive the disk called Intel Matrix Storage management, press enter when ready". When I push enter, nothing happens. Did you encounter the same problem during you installation, if so how did you continue the process?

Thanks,

Frank Cox