Thread: Unable to format external hard Drive

Unable to format external hard Drive

I have bought a new Western Digital external hard drive today, its formatted in FAT 32. I am running windows xp in my system and i am trying to format the drive to NTFS but i am getting an error message saying "Logical Disk Manager: The format did not complete successfully" every time. I have downloaded and ran Western Digital diagnostic tools, to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the drive. My newly bought external hard drive passed all the diagnostic test without any interruption, so if there is nothing wrong with the drive than why i am not able to format it? any idea?

Are you using WD utility for formatting the drive?? If yes, than try using XP Disk Management utility. Using XP Disk Management utility ou can create single partition,multiple partitions or format your drive in NTFS. I don't think you should face any issue in formatting it via XP DMU if there is nothing wrong with the disk and it has passed all the diagnostic test without any interruption.

I have tried formatting the drive via windows Disk Management utility but i am getting the same error message there as well. Currently i have dropped WD Tech Support with a brief introduction of the issue and i am waiting for their response.. Until than if you are aware of any solution that i can try out than please let me know.