Thread: Unable to communicate with twain device (scanner problem)

Unable to communicate with twain device (scanner problem)

I am using a Brother MFC 6800 Scanner and I am unable to scan with it and also getting error message that states "unable to communicate with twain device." The scanner is able to start but then it will stop and hang for about half a page. Normally, the Acrobat and Paperport applications hang in it. And when the applications are close then the scanner will come alive again and then gives out rest of scan job but without scanning. This printer-scanner is well connected to the computer via usb. I have recently installed Microsoft Office 2007 and Adobe Acrobat reader 6 and updated it as well. Can anyone help me please.

There could be number of problems that may be causing the error that you are getting, so you can try to perform serveral things to resolve the issue. You will need to check which version of PaperPort you have installed in your computer and then follow the below steps:
    1. First of all you need to open PaperPort
    2. After that you have to go to "Help" and choose "About PaperPort"
    3. Now find out which version you have (7.0 Deluxe, 8.0SE or Deluxe, 9.0SE or Deluxe or Pro Office).

More troubleshooting method given over here - http://support.visioneer.com/knowled...n%20device.asp

Re: Unable to communicate with twain device (scanner problem)

Even I am facing similar type of problem and I have a HP Photosmart 20 scanner and have done all the troubleshooting that you have told, but nothing is working for me, I am still getting the same error message on my computer. Can anyone try to give some other kind of solutions, it will be highly appreciated.

Incase you have connected the multi-function printer/scanner to your PC and then installed the printer drivers/software, the chances are very high that the printer may work but scanner function will not. Most scanners or multi purpose printers require that you install the software before connecting the scanner or printer/scanner.

Follow the below steps to solve this issue:
    [LIST=1]
    1. First of all try to disconnect the multi-function printer or scanner.
    2. After that you need to uninstall the printer/scanner software and twain drivers using the Add/Remove programs option.
    3. Now you ave to search for folders associated with your printer/scanner model that contain 'Twain' files, if the folder(s) still exist after the uninstall, then delete these files and the associated folders.

Note: In the list of files that Search has found you can ignore any files listed in:
    C:\Windows
    C:\Windows\system32\....
    C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\.....

NOTE: In the C:\WINDOWS\twain_32 folder you may have one or more files. The one "not to delete" is named: wiatwain.ds (wiatwain.ds is installed by Windows XP)
    Any additional files in this folder were most likely created when you installed the printer/scanner. Check each files 'Properties' and if has the brand of your scanner (Epson, Cannon, HP, Etc) identified as the company/brand, those files can be safely deleted.

On my computer I have my HP scanner's twain file located in: C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Precisionscan Pro 3.1\TwainCtrl.ocx
    There should be something similar on your PC, so in my case at least I would uninstall the HP Scanner software and if that 'TwainCtrl.ocx file is still there after uninstalling the scanner software I would delete it. I also have a second twain file named 'Twain_32.dll' located in: C:\Program Files\Adaptec\Easy CD Creator 5\PhotoRelay

4. Check Device Manager and remove any entries if necessary.
    5. Create a Restore Point
    6. Scan registry using the brand name/make of the scanner as key word for search. (Delete any entries found, but be certain it's a scanner related entry)
    7. Reboot the PC and once again check Device Manager, it should not show any listings for the printer/scanner.
    8. Now reinstall the software and twain drivers.
    9. Shutdown the PC.
    10. With the PC power off, connect the printer/scanner and then restart/boot to Windows.

Note: Sometimes it's might help if you try a different USB port if you printer/scanner is a USB device.

One easy way to test your software installation's twain driver are working, is to use a graphics editor named IrfanView.
    http://www.irfanview.com/

If you download, install and run this software, located in the menu bar is an option named 'File'. On selecting the 'File' option you should find an option (near the bottom of the list) to named: 'Select TWAIN Source', click on this option and a popup should then display valid Twain sources for you scanner. If you see your scanner listed, select it, and then try to scan an object (Photo).

By selecting Twain Source from the file menu IrfanView should load your scanner's software and then scan.

If you choose the 'Copy Shop' option also in the file menu you have the ability to bypass your scanner's software and directly scan a photo into IrfanView. Try the 'Copy Shop' option and let me know what happens. Note that 'Copy Shop' will list both your scanner's Photo editing/scanning software and the hardware name (make & model) of your scanner when you click on Copy Shop's 'Select Twain Source' button. You should choose the scanner's hardware option.

For instance on my PC the Photo editing/scanner software is named:
    'HP Precisionscan Pro 3.1'
    The second entry in Copy Shop's 'Select Twain Source' list is my scanner make and model which shows as:
    'WIA-Hewlett-Packard Scanjet 5470C 1.0'

So for me when using Copy Shop I select the second entry when asked to select a Twain Source.
    I then check the 'Show Twain Preview' box. (I check this option so the scanned image does not go directly to the printer, but instead is displayed in IrfanView). Next I click the 'Start' button located a the bottom of the Copy Shop window to start the scan.

Thanks for the detailed information to answer the problem that I was having, I will try it as soon as I reach my home.