Thread: When I use single click the same then acts like double click in Windows XP

When I use single click the same then acts like double click in Windows XP

My mouse is behaving weirdly. It is a new laser mouse. It was installed properly and started working fine. When I perform single click it act as double click. I always try to select something but it double clicks on it. It is very annoying. I tried to check the settings in mouse located inside control panel. But nothing worked. How to disable this.

Try to re-install the mouse. The issue occur due to click sensitivity. It is set on much higher due to which it instantly opens up a application or launch a file. You can find that in Mouse settings only. But I think re-installing the same can fix the problem. Just go in Device Manager and then right click on the mouse. Choose Uninstall. Then restart the computer and check back. The mouse will start functioning properly.

re: When I use single click the same then acts like double click in Windows XP

I bought a new mouse and it was just a week old. The same issue appeared. It is a broken mouse. The click fails to work. It happens mostly if the mouse belongs to some cheap brand or if you play a lot of games. Re-installation is not going to help you much. Just get a new one.

You can actually repair the mouse button, if you disassemble it very carefully with an ultra-small screw driver. Use a blade to clean the metal contact points inside. It worked for mine!

Few insights into the problem.
    (1) DSP based mouse use chip to control freeze delay between individual click, if mouse is new this could be a manufacturing defect.
    (2) As mouse ages, return spring of click button loses stiffness and bounces under clicks and thus produces several clicks for one.
    Tough Fix:
    Open mouse replace click sensors on PCB by desoldering, switching places of sensors and resoldering.
    *****Easy Fix*****
    (1) Go to control Panel> Mouse >Double Click Speed and drag the slider to the middle between Slow and Fast.
    (2) Download Utility MouseFix version 1.0
    (3) If rebinds keys and fixes double clicking, you can also use Left Shift as mouse click using this utility, Right Shift remains the same.

Here is a diagram to help you repair the mouse button: (technically it's called a snap action switch) You can test the lever by pressing to see if it gives a "click" sound.
    Last edited by Cybernetic1; 16-10-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Believe me, I am not being a smart-**** here. I had the same problem, getting worse for about a week, and was about to throw my wireless mouse into the trash but thought I would try one last thing first. I took it apart and gave it a thorough cleaning. Now, other than looking sparkling clean, it works just like it was brand new.

Give it a try first.

tomunc

As has been mentioned previously, the mouse switch springs become fatigued and the electrical contacts "bounce" thus sending multiple click events to the computer. Buy a new mouse or try swapping the switches inside the mouse. The right switch usually is in better condition than the left switch. Be careful not to destroy the foil on the PCB when desoldering.