Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Microsoft Serial Ball point mouse not detected in Windows XP

XP Hardware

Old 29-03-2007

Microsoft Serial Ball point mouse not detected in Windows XP

There is some issue with Microsoft Ball Point Mouse on Windows XP. I had connected that that on the com port. Windows XP shows that it is working but somehow I cannot use it. It looks XP is counting the same a serial mouse. I need some help to reconfigure the same as a ball point mouse and use it in the system.

Old 30-03-2007

It can be due to drivers. There are some registry changes that might help you. But it is not going to work well. Somehow there are chances that by modifying the windows registry you would be able to find the fix. Also there is a driver disc that come with the mouse itself. You can use that arrange some newest updates.
Old 31-12-2010

I have a similar problem with a prolific serial USB driver for a GPS but running Windows 7. How can I disable the ball mouse function? Other system details:
Acer netbook D255
GPS to be used with Seaclear 2 navigation software

I managed to disable the serial ballpoint so for the time being I have a temp solution. Is there another way on Windows 7 to solve the crazy jumping mouse problem?

Disabling the mouse is only very temporary as the crazy jumping mouse problem returned with a subsequent start up. Can anyone Help?
Old 31-12-2010

re: Microsoft Serial Ball point mouse not detected in Windows XP

If disabling of the mouse is not working for you and you are still getting the error with the same then it is better to disable the detection of the mouse from the startup. To disable the detection of mouse it is better to go with the below given instruction which will help you with the same.
  • Make a backup copy of the Boot.ini file.
  • Remove the hidden, system, and read-only attributes from the Boot.ini file.
  • Using a text editor (such as Notepad) open the Boot.ini file.
  • Add the /NoSerialMice option to the end of each entry in the [operating systems] section of Boot.ini. See the example below for more information.
  • Save Boot.ini and quit Notepad.
  • Restore the hidden, system, and read-only attributes to the Boot.ini file.
  • Shutdown and restart Windows.
Old 05-01-2011

Thanks monsitj,

Does this apply to Windiws 7? - your last line refers to Windows NT

Cheers

It seems I have an additional problem: Before I could try the above boot.ini mod. Running Seaclear navigation software it came up with an error "cannot open COM 3". I looked at device manager but could not find ports listed as was before. Any help how to restore Ports in DM?

Downloading a newer version of the driver from solved the problem - works fine as long as the usb serial device is only plugged in after windows has fully settled. Mysteriously the device manager now again lists Ports (COM & LPT).

Thanks to all who offered opinions.

Kudu

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , , ,