Thread: DVD Writer won't read DVD's

DVD Writer won't read DVD's

I had a desktop running with Windows XP Pro Sp2. Recently upgraded my motherboard to Intel D925XBC. Hard drives and DVD writer are on IDE channel, HD as master and DVD as slave. No other changes made. System is with all recent patches and windows updates. But since then I started getting problems with my DVD drive. It is LG DVD writer that stopped ready DVDs. No matter it is the purchased one or burned DVD, it just wont read. I tried out various things but nothing worked.

Finally I decided to reformat and install Windows XP again assuming it will fix the problem. I did the same but surprisingly the problem remained as it is. Still it is not able to read DVDs. Any help? Any suggestion?

If you have already try out so many things, lets give it one more last try. Go to Device Manager and uninstall DVD ROM. Now shut down computer, open cabinet and remove it completely by unplugging all its cables. Clean it with soft cloth or cotton. Re-plug everything like before and start the system. Now let device manager install the device. Once done, go to LG’s official website and download the latest drivers, install it in your system. Hope it should work now.

Same problem with Samsung DVD - software related?

I have been fighting with this same problem...

The following to date:

1. Drive works fine if installed in two other PCs

2. Another Samsung DVD drive does the same if installed in affected PC

The above lead me to the conclusion that there is something software related not hardware.

3. In Windows Explorer the drive is listed as 'DVD-RAM Drive' until I insert a DVD video disc - then changes to 'CD Drive'

4. Click on drive get message: 'D:\ is not accessable. Incorrect function.'

5. Checking this message on Microsoft knowledgebase gets the following articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324129/en-us

This refers to 2 articles wrt the Incorrect Function error.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315350/

The latter seems a better match, but it seems very specific to Roxio Easy CD Creator, however I am using Nero 6. The problem is supposed to be fixed in XP SP2 - but maybe not?
    Windows seems to see the DVD video disc as a CD and then sees it as empty.

Not sure that this gets us anywhere, but I will keep on digging.

Re: DVD Writer won't read DVD's

I agree with Zax, I think it is a software problem. My Samsung SE-S084 behaves exactly the same, it will read/write CDs just fine, it will read DVDs which I have burnt, but won't read the original DVD from which it was copied. That suggests it might be a copy-protection or region code issue(?) I have tried many examples of the above, dozens of original DVDs behave like there is no disk in the drive after the drive goes "ready". The exact same title, backup copy works just fine. I can copy and burn a backup but not an original. And this just started happening a few weeks ago. Since this is a very old thread, wonder if anyone has fixed the problem? thanks.