Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

System volume information errors on external USB drive

XP Hardware

Old 11-03-2007

System volume information errors on external USB drive

I am getting some kind of an error message that says "Windows Delayed Write Failed. All the data was not able to be saved by Windows for the file D:\System Volume Information\_restore and the data was lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere". I have an external drive plugged into the USB port and the USB drive holds external copies of backup files residing on the computer to which the drive is attached. After that a scheduled batch file is copying all the backup files from the internal drive to the external drive with no problems. Does anyone know what should I do to solve this problem?

Old 12-03-2007

Re: System volume information errors on external USB drive

I think that you will need to disable the System Restore on the external drive. The reason I am saying this because system restore only guards the operating system files so there is no need to have it running on the drives or partitions that contain only data files and backup image files. You can go to Control Panel and then to System and then go to the System Restore rab to disable it.
Old 21-08-2009

You can try to manually flush the drive by means of Sysinternals' commandline tool SYNC by downloading it from here. The Sysinternals Troubleshooting Utilities have been rolled up into a single Suite of tools. This file contains the individual troubleshooting tools and help files. It does not contain non-troubleshooting tools like the BSOD Screen Saver or NotMyFault.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware