Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

USB-to-serial adapter (for GPS) and latest Prolific drivers

XP Hardware

Old 09-01-2007

USB-to-serial adapter (for GPS) and latest Prolific drivers

I have got 2 GPS named Garmin and Magellan that have serial interfaces and I have got a ThinkPad T41 that does not have a serial port so I am looking for a USB-to-serial adapter. So I bought a cheap generic adapter based on a "Huge Pine" chip from ebay and it didnt work, in Windows XP the hardware was not able to be identified properly. So I bought another which was a generic adapter based on the Prolific PL-2303 chip and it was identified very well with Windows XP with my GPU units. I purchased it from a local vendor TekGems and it came with a driver on a mini CD for Windows. For mac, and linux the drivers can be downloaded from the Prolific website or search here - http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=156&pcid=41

Old 09-01-2007

Re: USB-to-serial adapter (for GPS) and latest Prolific drivers

Hello, even I was having difficulty with the huge pin adapter and I am still trying to let it work in Windows XP. The issue that I am facing is that Windows XP will not report a valid VID:PID, it is all zero. I have even tried with the same hardware on the Windows 2000 and it did work and it will also work under linux.
Old 10-01-2007

Can you tell us where did you see all the zero ids, in the registry or somewhere else? In your Windows XP, do you get any popups like "USB device not recognized", when you connect the same device? Also, did you mean to sat that linux and Windows 2000 are on different machines, if so then this could be a hardware compatibility problem, so check that first.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware