Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to run chkdsk from Windows Bootable CD

XP Hardware

Old 24-11-2006

How to run chkdsk from Windows Bootable CD

I want some help to run chkdsk through Windows disc. I am having 2 drives in my computer and both are in NTFS format. I want to run this detect some set of errors but somehow I am not aware about procedure. My system is working quiet slowly and I think there are some bad sectors in the system.

Old 24-11-2006

You can try to boot the system in safe mode and from there you can run chkdsk. It is quiet easier and works in better way. From Windows bootable disc you can run a repair setup. To find bad sectors you can also use Disk Defragmentation. This tool offers you a graphical output of bad sectors on your screen.
Old 25-11-2006

For that you will need to boot in recovery console and then only it is going to work. There are some set of utilities available on web that offers you more information on your drive status. For that you have to check on Google. Chkdks is a tiny tool that scans your drive for errors. One of the best tool that I find on the web that offers a better approach to use or scan the hard drive is Seagate Diagnostic software. It is available for free.
Old 15-12-2006

Go to Start and click on Run. In the box type cmd and hit enter. In the command prompt type chkdsk /f and hit enter. The system will reboot and it will scan your drive on boot. In this way you can schedule chkdsk scan on every boot. The utility is capable of catching any software or hardware issues in the system and it works fine.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , ,