Thread: Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter

Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter

I am in serious trouble. Getting a disk boot failure on startup. I cannot figure out why this. happens. I had done with fresh XP setup and then suddenly got this error. It appeared after formatting the system. I need some help to get my system back to work. How can I fix this. Do I need to format the same back again.

Disk boot failure occur when the system fails to find a operating system or boot loader. This are common issues. You can simply format the system and see whether its solved or not. Try to format it again. I am doubtful that there are some bad sectors in the system.

I had faced the same error on my system. Go in bios and disable unwanted features. There can be something that is causing the hard drive fail to boot. Is there raid controller on your system. If yes then you will need to arrange proper XP drivers for the same.

Same Problem

Had the same DISK BOOT ERROR problem

Solved it by reseating the SATA cable to my hard disk. The error literally came out of the blue to a well used machine that - in the normal run of affairs - sees no problems. Was running Win XP.

Just thought I'd put this in for those still searching for a solution

Some few months before i got an error message "A DISK READ ERROR OCCURRED " press any key to restart. I thought my hard disk gone so i bought an new Seagate 250 GB SATA hard disk and installed Windows XP SP2 with preinstalled SATA driver in it. Installation went smoothly and XP worked well.

While using my system got freeze sometime and the mouse point do not move smoothly. Then i restarted my system now in boot screen it showed an new error message "Disk error press any key to restart" Then i didn't switch on my system for more than two hours then i started my system now my XP starts up without any error message. When i press ctrl+alt del the CPU usage was around 90 - 95% and in that SVCHOST process is about 99 and system idle process is always 99. When i try to open some windows application my system got freeze and once again i got the same "DISK ERROR " message.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosWA View Post
    I am running Windows XP. My computer and hard drive are about 2.5
    years old. Recently, I have not made any software or hardware changes.
    Yesterday, after booting correctly and using it for a couple of hours,
    my computer hung (this has not happened in months). Turning it off
    from Start button was not possible. When I tried the manual reboot
    button it gave the message
    "Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"
    I turned it off manually with the on/off switch and on again and it
    was OK for a while before it hung again. After this happened for abut
    five times, it worked well. I was able to reboot from the Star button
    or by pushing the reboot button. I turned it off last night and on
    this morning and it is fine.

I ran CHKDSK and it gave no errors.

Is this an indication that the hard drive should be replaced?

Txs, Carlos
    Its may be your MBR (Master Boot Record) got corrupt so try to backup your data by connecting your HDD as a slave machine in another computer and then Format your full HDD by using Windows 98 CD it will recreate your MBR and full file system structure of your hard disk.Try this it should solve your problem Keep me inform.

Re: Disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter

Hi Tech Friends,

I am getting BIOS setup issue, every time when i login I am getting error that Floppy disk not found at the boot up, while checking the BIOS setup it shows that the booting Priority has been changed to Floppy and i dont have a floppy drive too. I tried to format my hard disk with Windows Xp but it also getting error saying 'dmio.sys', is corrupted......

I did system file checker to fix the missing system files. with the below command.
    Start > Run > cmd
    sfc /scannow

After fixing this i am able to format my system using Windows XP and the system is new now , I manually set up the bios setting in the booting Priority to Hardisk. but when the system boots up for the second time throws the error stating floppy disk not found, i checked again the BIOS setting all the booting modes has been changed to Floppy which i previously i changed to hard disk.

Can any one give me solution to it.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by PadmanabhanG View Post
    Hi Tech Friends,

I am getting BIOS setup issue, every time when i login I am getting error that Floppy disk not found at the boot up, while checking the BIOS setup it shows that the booting Priority has been changed to Floppy and i dont have a floppy drive too. I tried to format my hard disk with Windows Xp but it also getting error saying 'dmio.sys', is corrupted......

I did system file checker to fix the missing system files. with the below command.
    Start > Run > cmd
    sfc /scannow

After fixing this i am able to format my system using Windows XP and the system is new now , I manually set up the bios setting in the booting Priority to Hardisk. but when the system boots up for the second time throws the error stating floppy disk not found, i checked again the BIOS setting all the booting modes has been changed to Floppy which i previously i changed to hard disk.

Can any one give me solution to it.

Thanks in advance.
    Have you tried updating the bios?? if not then try out the same and see if you are able to get rid of the error, just try it out and then post back the result that you get.

I dont know how to update BIOS can u tell me how to update BIOS

Quote Originally Posted by PadmanabhanG View Post
    I dont know how to update BIOS can u tell me how to update BIOS
    Hey you can just go through the below guide for updating the bios, it is having detailed steps regrading the same.
    How to update your BIOS ?

Quote Originally Posted by Driscoll View Post
    Its may be your MBR (Master Boot Record) got corrupt so try to backup your data by connecting your HDD as a slave machine in another computer and then Format your full HDD by using Windows 98 CD it will recreate your MBR and full file system structure of your hard disk.Try this it should solve your problem Keep me inform.
    i had this problem before and it was infection of the MBR (Master Boot Record)

in my case it was xp that had the problem.
    b/c of that problem i temperalily switched to linux untill i could fix the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Malke View Post
    Sorry, no email support. Asked here, answered here.

Your post is very light on details, but I'd say your hard drive has died.
    he is right the description is low on detail althogh i am certain it is the MBR

do What ever you can to save yur info ie. usb, cd, dvd, SD CARD (last possible choice but Micro SD cards are more reliable because without the adapter they are very hard to write-protect other than a virus

then re-install nd tell us f it fixes the problem
    Last edited by snacdaws; 27-10-2012 at 03:21 AM.