Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Power Surge on Hub Port error message on Windows XP while using external usb hard drive

XP Hardware

Old 29-10-2006

Power Surge on Hub Port error message on Windows XP while using external usb hard drive

I have a HP laptop that comes with Windows XP on it. I am having two usb drive. One is a external hard drive and the second is a usb. When I connect the external hard drive to the system I am getting a message on the screen saying that power surge on hub port. What does this message means. I am not able to understand the same. How can I use the usb drives and stop this error.

Old 29-01-2007

The error appears when the usb is unable to get enough power from the port. It is recommended that you connect the drive when a power adapter is attached to your laptop. The bios of the laptop limits the power usage of usb drive and if it exceeds that this kind of error appears. You can try re-installing the usb drives and then check back whether things work or not.
Old 24-06-2008

I had got the same error on my IBM laptop. It comes even when nothing was connected to Windows XP. I tried to resolve the issue but somehow it is a kind of hardware fault. The USB tries to use more power which is limited by the bios and the error appears. I am not sure whether there is any kind of fix available for the same. Try to restore your system and check the same.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , , ,