Thread: System halted on Chipset Heatsink not detected

System halted on Chipset Heatsink not detected

I am having a SBS at my office. Due to some issue the system halted on boot. I got the error on screen saying that chipset heatsink fails to detect. I am not ale to find any related to solution. I can enter the bios. What is the problem.

The heatsink is the cpu fan. I think your cpu is getting more heated or there are some settings in the bios which check first heatsink is attached or not and then move ahead. Open your cpu case and see whether your heatsink is fitted properly. From bios you can simply find appropriate settings to disable that you need. You can also remove the cpu fan and reattach it back again.

re: System halted on Chipset Heatsink not detected

My system is also giving the same kind of error. When I turn it on it is giving the error that the system fails to find the heatsink. I had removed the fan and attached it back again. It looks it is broken. I am waiting for a new hardware that can used with the system and hope the problem would be solved.

This happens when the bios fails to find the cpu fan. It is recommended that you check the entire unit that protects your cpu from getting overheated. You can also go in bios and disable warn on fan not detected. The system will be continued to boot. This are common post test performed by bios to check all hardware's are working fine or not.

There is a clip that holds the chipset on the processor and I think it getting loose on the board. There are some cpu heatsink that comes with cable connection on the board and it is checked by the bios. You must try to remove it and put it back. That is the best way to avoid the error.

Just change your heatsink. It can be damaged. The error is to just inform that if you continue your system will be heated and it can damage the processors ability to perform quiet well. You can also open up your cpu case and replace the thermal grease. The heatsink is loosing the contact with processor or some utility in your is unable to find it properly.

I faced that problem on HP 894C. I am trying to still found a proper solution on the same. The heatsink looks to be fitted well, but somehow the board is not getting it right. I had replaced it and still getting the same kind of error on the screen. I modified the settings and disabled bios to detect any and the system looks to be working well.

Hi, I'm an HVAC Tecnician. Checked out this site, took my Dell apart, found the loosened hook, soft-soldered it back in and I'm back on line.
    Thanks, your posts helped.