Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Autostart USB drive when inserted

XP Hardware

Old 13-02-2006

Autostart USB drive when inserted

Hope I get some working tip here. I am thinking to buy few USB drives, burn them with application images and sell. These applications should start automatically when USB Drives are inserted/connected with the system. is there any way we can make the program to AutoRun as soon as the drive is connected to the computer? If yes, please let me know how? Thank you very much.

Old 14-02-2006

Don't know if it would work, but have you tried using an autorun.inf file
(similiar to a CD)?

Is there any way to to have a script in windows that detects USB insert and runs an application from windows (anivirus).
Old 15-02-2006

Re: Autostart USB drive when inserted

Yes, there is a way for doing the same. You can do it by using autorun.inf like we use to have in CDs. While creating the USB Drive, place a notepad with name autorun.inf, open it in notepad and put this code inside:

[AutoRun]
open=programname.exe

Here programname.exe is your applications name.exe.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , , ,