Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

USB Mass Storage Device Error 10 on Gateway desktop

XP Hardware

Old 26-11-2005

USB Mass Storage Device Error 10 on Gateway PC

I had bought a new Iomega 160GB USB 2.0 external hard drive. I am using a Gateway PC. After connecting that to the laptop, Windows XP detected it as a new hardware. There was a popup on the screen. I clicked on next and followed the instruction. After few time I got a message that windows failed to install the drive. I checked in Device Manager and found a exclamation sign near the external storage. In properties it showed me error 10. What does this means.

Old 26-11-2005

It can be a driver failure problem. Did you got any cd with the hard drive. If then then first unintsall that troubled hardware from Device Manager. You can right click on that and choose uninstall. Reboot your computer and then insert the disc. Install the drive through that. Windows sometime lack proper drivers due to which you get that error. Your system would be very old and the drive that you had bought has new interface. That is why it is not getting installed on its own.
Old 02-02-2006

This is a driver fault. Just right click on that hardware which has exclamation mark and choose update drivers. Follow the screen instruction. If you have a active internet connection then run windows update also. Windows will try to scan online and locate the right drivers. If that also does not work then you will need to update your chipset drivers. You can find that on the official manufacturer's website of your motherboard.
Old 12-03-2009

re: USB Mass Storage Device Error 10 on Gateway desktop

Check your BIOS -- there is on option on many BIOS that says "USB keyboard/storage device" -- make sure that is enabled

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , ,