Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Reformatting External hard drive from NTFS to FAT32

XP Hardware

Old 21-12-2004

Reformatting External hard drive from NTFS to FAT32

I am going to post a few steps on reformatting a external drive from NTFS to FAT32. FAT32 format is essential if you are going to use your hard drive on Mac system. I think they do not read NTFS file system. So here what you need to do.
  • Format through Windows installation disc. Boot your system in recovery mode.
  • Add your login details and then type map.
  • Add a the drive letter that you want to assign to the new formatted partition.
  • You can use command format:x: /fs:fat32 and hit enter.

Old 21-12-2004

That is quite a long procedure you had mentioned. If you are using Windows XP then you can simply format that through Device Management. Connect the drive and the right click on it. Then choose delete. It will wipe out the partition. That will be converted to raw format. You can then right click on the same and choose a new partition. You can select FAT32 from the window and then click next. The new partition will be created.
Old 27-01-2009

I use a Windows disc for that. Keep the drive connected and then boot your system with Windows installation disc. You can find that partition in installation menu of Windows. You can delete it, format it or divide the same in partitions you want. It is the best way to create required file system. Also there are some third party software which are capable of offering you easy formatting utility.
Old 08-08-2010

Re: Reformatting External hard drive from NTFS to FAT32

i know how to change the format from ntfs to fat32 you just need to have nothing on it because it will format and erase everything.... text me if you still have a problem or email me... 503-396-0510,,,,,,, kyleharrison0401@hotmail.com

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , ,