Thread: Good Hardware Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP

Good Hardware Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP

There are around 6 pc on my network which are having Windows XP SP2. I have to do a lot of changes every week. Sometime I have to add a nas card on some pc or sometime I have to replace the graphic card. My hardware changes are constant here. I have to keep the system up for work. It works constantly for 10 hrs and then comes the house keeping job. I am looking for a good hardware diagnostic tool which can scan every system and update it automatically. Like a pc recently I had installed a auto-dialer. It took me around 20 minutes to install it properly. If there is any automated process then I can do this in every pc quickly.

Re: Good Hardware Diagnostic Tool for Windows XP

You are asking for some kind of automatic drive updater. I think that is not available. To configure a hardware properly you will have to install it manually. Or else there can be problem with the usage. Make a list of process and then go with them accordingly. That will more helpful.

There are no automated utility but there are tools like system info. This tools gives you detail information your system hardware. And on that basis you can keep the driver ready. I am using Cpuz here. This tiny tool just give me information on currently installed hardware on my pc. This works really well. It is good to manage a large list of system with different hardware in them. But it is limited. I am looking for an complete utility that can tell me about everything. The hard drive size, audio driver, video driver, optical drive model, etc. All this information I have to look out manually due to which it is a bit time consuming. Here is hard to find a diagnostic tool. You can just get some set of tools that can give you system info. That's all. While even if you find some tools that scan your system and update drivers then it might not work so well. Because it is not easy for any application to locate the hardware and then search for its driver on the web. Just try to go with the manual process. I think that will be more helpful to you. You are just having a very few numbers of pc. I am working on a much bigger network and every now and then there is some issue with some system. It is a bit complicated to track the issues of every thing here.

I hope in coming time CPUz would be a bit more advance. Instead of just giving me list of system information it can provide me information on the drivers also and allow me to update that in one click. I had used Drive Detective for that but it is just an waste of time.

Many branded system comes with ready to use diagnostic tools in them. I had seen one in HP. It comes with a automatic memory scanner. You can run a full memory scan on boot. Now here HP is having a diagnostic utility through which you can find out problem in your system. It is called as Hardware Diagnostic Tools. It is actually a bootable disc. You have to burn everything here on a bootable cd and then run the system scan. That will be more appropriate here fixing the issue. The diagnostic tools scans each and every hardware of your system and gives a more appropriate report on the issue. The most easy way to keep a system work fine is through constant driver updates. Make a list of hardware installed in your pc. Then one by one whenever you get time keep on running the driver updates. That will do the job. There is no need update that manually. I keep a format of the same. That makes my job easier. Compare to Windows XP, Windows 7 here is more better in driver updates. It can search and update itself automatically through web. It works really well and you do not require to install every driver manually.

I agree with that, but it does not work with every hardware. Automatic updates is one of the best choice here to keep your system updated and works well. You can just keep on running the updates. Upgrade your system to a newer OS you will surely get some extra benefits here.

HP Diagnostic Tool is great here, but I do not think it works with all systems. I am having one laptop on which it is not working. One advance tool that I found is AIDA64. This is a kind of advance hardware diagnostic tools that tells you everything about your system hardware. It is not just an diagnostic utility but more than that. It gives you constant updates about your system temperature. Also you can control your system fan through the same. You can monitor the temperature and you can move ahead with system diagnostic. It works on both software and hardware level. There is a free edition of this tool available on the web which you can test. But you have to buy it later on. You can install this in all of your system and keep on getting updates just by single click. I found this tool great for windows server also. Everything here is listed at one place. With simple interface it is easy to use also. But there is no direct option available through which you can update the drivers. It just gives you alert and you have to go with driver updates manually.

I do not trust this self diagnostic tools. None of them is intact. I had ran many of them. In the name of system diagnostic I can mostly find memory test tools or hard drive diagnostic software. Memory test tools gives you information ram errors while through hard drive diagnostic you can locate drive health status.