Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Hard Drive Activity light

XP Hardware

Old 13-04-2012

Hard Drive Activity light

Greetings,

I am new to the site and I come here seeking help.

On Saturday (the 7th) I got my shipment of a Kinamax ADP-IDE23 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch IDE adapter but sadly It didn't come with a hard drive jumper connecter and I was not able to buy one until Monday (the 9th) along with a Molex Y-splitter cable at my local Goodwill Computer store.

just in case you didn't pick it up its a Laptop Hard drive that I am connecting to my main computer. Computer is a Compaq Presario S4040SE ( I know its old).

Now my problem is that since I hooked it up to my system the Hard Drive activity light on my computer case is a solid yellow/orange color. I know its the laptop hard drive because when I disconnect it from the IDE cable and power cable the hard drive light goes back to normal once I boot it up again.

I tried to do a format but I wouldn't let me because it say's that a program is using it or its contents are being shown but I know that is wrong. I did get to format it however in safe mode.

I am using the laptop hard drive as a temporary measure until I can save some money to buy a 1 TB portable hard drive.

Now is the hard drive activity light supposed to stay on if I have two hard drives connected?. I'm just wondering because I don't know if it means that something is wrong or not.

Laptop hard drive is a Fujitsu mhv2040at 40 GB

thanks to all who reply.

Old 13-04-2012

Re: Hard Drive Activity light

Well, if the hard drive is connected to the laptop and if the laptop is turned on then definitely you will get a light which normally realizes that it is in running position, whats wrong in that?
Old 11-12-2012

Re: Hard Drive Activity light

Quote:
Originally Posted by famguy21 View Post
Greetings,

I am new to the site and I come here seeking help.

On Saturday (the 7th) I got my shipment of a Kinamax ADP-IDE23 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch IDE adapter but sadly It didn't come with a hard drive jumper connecter and I was not able to buy one until Monday (the 9th) along with a Molex Y-splitter cable at my local Goodwill Computer store.

just in case you didn't pick it up its a Laptop Hard drive that I am connecting to my main computer. Computer is a Compaq Presario S4040SE ( I know its old).

Now my problem is that since I hooked it up to my system the Hard Drive activity light on my computer case is a solid yellow/orange color. I know its the laptop hard drive because when I disconnect it from the IDE cable and power cable the hard drive light goes back to normal once I boot it up again.

I tried to do a format but I wouldn't let me because it say's that a program is using it or its contents are being shown but I know that is wrong. I did get to format it however in safe mode.

I am using the laptop hard drive as a temporary measure until I can save some money to buy a 1 TB portable hard drive.

Now is the hard drive activity light supposed to stay on if I have two hard drives connected?. I'm just wondering because I don't know if it means that something is wrong or not.

Laptop hard drive is a Fujitsu mhv2040at 40 GB

thanks to all who reply.
My guess is that the hard drive has a power issue

i know this because i had the same problem when i had my good video card fail the computer seemed to boot but nothing came up on screen i had thought that i was the monitor but when i disconnected the video card the power light came on in green the way it should be

hope i helped

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , , , ,