Thread: SYSTEM process (USBPORT.SYS) takes 50% CPU power + USB drives n mobiles not recognized + NADFOLDER & Autorun.inf issue with USB drives and PC's

SYSTEM process (USBPORT.SYS) takes 50% CPU power + USB drives n mobiles not recognized + NADFOLDER & Autorun.inf issue with USB drives and PC's

I am not sure how this issue started but its annoying me now and I hope I can get a solution here.
    I am using a PC with following config for more than 2 years now
    Motherboard : D945GCCR
    Processor : Pentium D processor 925 Plus (3Ghz,LGA775)
    RAM : Transcend 1 GB
    HDD : 1st one is 320 GB SATA (started using this as booting one from last 8 months)
    2nd one is 80 GB IDE (used as primary before I bought SATA)
    DVD Writer : Samsung
    RJ45 cable connects to my PC for internet connectivity
    I have 3 onboard USB ports and 2 front panel added USB ports
    Operating system : Windows XP with SP 3 and all latest patches applied
    Antivirus : Mcafee 8.0i (updated every week)
    Firewall : Mcafee + Windows firewall
    USB drives are used by me as I have 2 Windows mobile (used for sync via activesync and also charged through it) and 3 pen drives (4 GB Transcend, 1 GB iBall & 2 GB Sandisk)

From some months my front USB ports used to detect all my USB drives and phones. Then slowly they became erratic, same USB drive was detected in one port and not in other. I got tired and started using onboard ports. It worked fine for few days and then started behaving erratic again. Now they have stopped recognizing any USB drive or windows mobile since last one week. Only once was I able to sync my windows mobile, but then it again stopped working. During last 6 months, my motherboard was replaced by Intel due to Video card issue.

I got a virus through one of my pen drives with autorun.inf file which mentioned something like NADFOLDER present in my pen drive. I was not suspicious as I though this might be related to NAD musical electronic components for which my bro might have done some research and saved with that folder name. After this I ran my updated antivirus and got my PC cleaned (The virus I think impacted Explorer.exe and its clean now). The issue I am facing presently is with 50% CPU utilization by “system” process.

After lot of time consumed I realized my USB port might be creating issue as “Process Explorer” showed USBPORT.SYS with TID 440 utilizing the CPU power under system process. I am able to gain back my CPU power by disabling all USB root hub ports in device manager. I tried using 1 port at a time and the CPU utilization goes back to 50%. Now I have to disable all USB root hubs in device manager to make sure my CPU utilization is normal to 3-12%. The system hanged whenever I tried to delete or uninstall the USB host controller. Only deletion and USB root huyb worked. I also tried to update drivers for USB, still no go. Tried replacing USB files as shown in drivers in device manager for them with same files of older version which exists for XP SP2. The files were replaced in respective folder and dll cache also. Replaced drivers to standard ones. Still stuck with same issue.
    USBPORT.SYS+0x6086
    I also made changes in BIOS to make my 80GB HDD as primary and check by booting in Windows XP SP3 loaded in that drive, still same issue.

The changes made in my operating system are generally windows patches which I update on regular basis. Now am back with my SATA HDD operating system and USB’s disabled from device manager. Everything runs fine with this config.

I need a solution as I am stuck with no USB drives as of now which is making my life a bit difficult.

Added to this I am having one more issue.
    I tried removing the NADFOLDER and autorun.inf from my USB pen drives using attrib commands and del commands, but it reappears after plugging the USB again to the computer. Generally the file generated in RECYCLE folder is Wingn.exe
    Attrib _s _h _r autorun.inf
    Dir /ah
    Del /ah
    Del /ah /f
    Then I formatted the pen drives and when inserted again to the USB port, it again shows me the 2 files NADFOLDER and autorun.inf
    Please help me remove this virus from both my pen drives so that I can use them.

Screenshots attached.

I'm having the same problem... Can you please advise how yours was resolved?

Re: SYSTEM process (USBPORT.SYS) takes 50% CPU power + USB drives n mobiles not recognized + NADFOLDER & Autorun.inf issue with USB drives and PC's

Yes, I too am having the same issue. I'm stuck without usb ports and only able to run my comp with usbport.sys+0x6086 suspended. Would be nice know if this was a hardware issue so I dont have to continue wasting time trying to find a fix. Thanks.

Re: SYSTEM process (USBPORT.SYS) takes 50% CPU power + USB drives n mobiles not recognized + NADFOLDER & Autorun.inf issue with USB drives and PC's

No one has found out what this is? It would be nice to know before I shot this thing.