Thread: USB Device can Perform Faster message on Windows xp

USB Device can Perform Faster message on Windows xp

I am constantly getting a error on my screen related to usb drive performance. The message appears in system tray that the usb device can perform faster. I had attached a usb mouse and pen drive on the front port. I checked all the available ports but somehow it does not work properly. I tried to re-install the port a number of time but it still did not worked. How to block this message.

It is not a error. The usb that you are using a high speed device that you are using on a older port. That is why you are keep on getting that message. You can ignore that. This message will keep on appearing whenever you put a high speed or higher standard usb device on the older ports.

re: USB Device can Perform Faster message on Windows xp

Hello everyone. Just joined & first time poster! I too am having probs with the "this device can perform faster message" & the "connect to a high speed port" message. Using XP on Acer Aspire netbook. Every time the machine is moved even by an inch or so one or both messages will appear, together with the icon i the lower toolbar. I have searched properties under "my computer" & hardware headings but can find no anomalies as far as my extremely limited abilities can tell. There are no devices attached to the ports & when one is, will operate normally with no messages displayed. Grateful for any ideas. Thanks. "J"

Quote Originally Posted by James1952 View Post
    Hello everyone. Just joined & first time poster! I too am having probs with the "this device can perform faster message" & the "connect to a high speed port" message. Using XP on Acer Aspire netbook. Every time the machine is moved even by an inch or so one or both messages will appear, together with the icon i the lower toolbar. I have searched properties under "my computer" & hardware headings but can find no anomalies as far as my extremely limited abilities can tell. There are no devices attached to the ports & when one is, will operate normally with no messages displayed. Grateful for any ideas. Thanks. "J"
    The message normally pops up when you put in an older USB drive and tells you it can perform faster. Click on the balloon message to see a list of available USB 2.0 ports. At the bottom of the This Device Can Perform Faster window, uncheck the box Tell me if my device can perform faster then close the window and you will no longer get that message.

Quote Originally Posted by expertz View Post
    The message normally pops up when you put in an older USB drive and tells you it can perform faster. Click on the balloon message to see a list of available USB 2.0 ports. At the bottom of the This Device Can Perform Faster window, uncheck the box Tell me if my device can perform faster then close the window and you will no longer get that message.
    Thanks; I have tried clicking on the balloon message & I get the list of ports but the window is headed hi speed USB device attached to USB port. Then a warning triangle referring to webcam. The box referred to, to uncheck does not appear but a recommendation to connect webcam to hi speed port does. I am not using nor have I ever used an external webcam & only the built in one to take "avatar" pictures.

Thanks; I have tried clicking on the balloon message & I get the list of ports but the window is headed hi speed USB device attached to USB port. Then a warning triangle referring to webcam. The box referred to, to uncheck does not appear but a recommendation to connect webcam to hi speed port does. I am not using nor have I ever used an external webcam & only the built in one to take "avatar" pictures.
    Does that mean that you have a laptop, since you have a built in webcam? If so then what is the make or model of this laptop that you have? Can you try to uninstall and reinstall the driver for the webcam and see if that helps?

Quote Originally Posted by einstein_007 View Post
    Does that mean that you have a laptop, since you have a built in webcam? If so then what is the make or model of this laptop that you have? Can you try to uninstall and reinstall the driver for the webcam and see if that helps?
    Hi Einstein..
    Yes a netbook as I posted in my original question. Acer Aspire One (I think the model designation is ZG8). Sorry to appear obtuse but I'm not sure how to uninstall &/or reinstall the driver.

Thanks for your assistance....

"Edit"...I can uninstall the webcam via all programs, but not sure if this is the same thing but am at a bit of a loss when it comes to reinstalling.

Hi Einstein..
    Yes a netbook as I posted in my original question. Acer Aspire One (I think the model designation is ZG8). Sorry to appear obtuse but I'm not sure how to uninstall &/or reinstall the driver.

Thanks for your assistance....

"Edit"...I can uninstall the webcam via all programs, but not sure if this is the same thing but am at a bit of a loss when it comes to reinstalling.
    You should have got a cd/dvd along with the Acer Aspire One laptop which contains all the drivers for webcam and other hardware components. Go to start, then control panel and then select Add and Remove options. In there you will find the webcam driver listed, simply uninstall it and then reinstall the drivers from the cd/dvd.

Quote Originally Posted by t.j. View Post
    You should have got a cd/dvd along with the Acer Aspire One laptop which contains all the drivers for webcam and other hardware components. Go to start, then control panel and then select Add and Remove options. In there you will find the webcam driver listed, simply uninstall it and then reinstall the drivers from the cd/dvd.
    Sorry but it's a NETBOOK not a laptop & therefore has no CD/DVD drive. I have un-installed the webcam & re-installed the same version via the usual network of semi dodgy websites. Result webcam not working properly & problem not solved either.

Sorry but it's a NETBOOK not a laptop & therefore has no CD/DVD drive. I have un-installed the webcam & re-installed the same version via the usual network of semi dodgy websites. Result webcam not working properly & problem not solved either.
    Edit: further driver now reinstalled & camera working. Original problem also very much improved. Thanks.