Thread: SATA driver fails, ASUS A7V600-X

SATA driver fails, ASUS A7V600-X

I am using a ASUS A7V600-X motherboard. I want to use SATA II drive on it. I am having one 500GB Hitachi hard drive. But I think there would be some problem in using it with the board that I have. I am using Windows XP and there is a IDE hard drive configured on the same. First of all when I try to start the system after connecting the new drive it remain undetected. I think there is no SATA support available.

Re: SATA driver fails, ASUS A7V600-X

Go in bios and see that you can find appropriate SATA options. If not then the board has on option to use SATA drive. You have to upgrade the bios to make it work. There is one more way to use it. You can buy a hard drive enclosure and configure it on usb mode. It can act as data backup storage for your system. And also there are number of SATA PCI card that you can buy to use the drive.

Re: SATA driver fails, ASUS A7V600-X

Thanks. As I wrote in my first post, I updated already to the latest Bios (which is indeed rev. 1009). Thus, there must be another problem.

If the drive remains undetected then the issue lies with bios. If still bios update fails to make it work then there is no use of wasting time. It will just not work. It is recommended that you go with either a enclosure option or simply buy a pcie card that will help you to connect the drive. But before doing any changes better refer to the motherboard manual. There can be some information related to SATA support mentioned in it.

I have seen that board before. It was on my friend system. There is no SATA mode available in that. You will need to use a IDE hard drive only on that. The option for SATA is only available on new motherboards only. It is worth to spend some amount and buy a new motherboard.