Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Duplicate network cards and other adapters are added

XP Hardware

Old 17-06-2009

Duplicate network cards and other adapters are added

I have a Packard Bell notebook which was infected by some virus and when I scanned my laptop, it found serveral viruses and removed it. Now the issue that i am facing is that, due to serveral files deleted in the process of cleaning the virus, it has mis-configured the network items and hence am not able to connect to the internet. When I go into device manager I get an exclamation mark next to the wireless network device area and additionally, it has doubled these devices and added some weird network adapters that are not even there prior to this problem. I have tried reinstalling the drivers but that didnt work for me. Is there a way to solve this issue.

Old 17-06-2009

It might be ghosted network adapter so try to uninstall the same from using the below method:
  1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
  2. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1, and then press ENTER.
  3. Type Start DEVMGMT.MSC, and then press ENTER.
  4. Click View, and then click Show Hidden Devices.
  5. Expand the Network Adapters tree.
  6. Right-click the dimmed network adapter, and then click Uninstall.
More information can be found here.
Old 17-06-2009

re: Duplicate network cards and other adapters are added

You could even try to do a System restore and get back to a previous state when internet was working fine before. Just click on Start and then click on Help and Support and type in system restore in the Search box, and then press Enter. Here you will see the dates listed to a time before the problem, just click on it and then restore the pc. Hope that this will solve the issue for you.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , ,