Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

xp network icon slow to start on boot

XP Hardware

Old 21-02-2009

xp network icon slow to start on boot

I?m using this Windows XP desktop since a long time. Never had any problem but from last 10 days something has went wrong with it. I dint made any changes to the system in past couple of months. Problem is that when I start the computer, system boots fine, all icons boot fine including the system tray except one, the network icon.

When all icons are loaded with network icon yet to come, system gets freeze here for about 3 minutes, then HDD starts whirring and then the network icon comes up. It takes about 6 minutes from the startup to get this icon and getting internet to my computer. It happens on every restart.

Any help please?

Old 21-02-2009

Re: xp network icon slow to start on boot

If you haven?t made any changes then there could be only one more reason, hard drive failure. But if you haven?t seen any such symptoms like crash and all then you can simply fix it by restoring system to any previous working restore point. Probably a week or two before the problem started. It should work fine. If you don?t have any restore point or it is not getting fixed by restoring the system then you will need to restore your OS from a backup.
Old 22-02-2009

Thank for your reply Tanvir, I restored the system to a restore point dated 8th jan 2009. I even got the message on reboot saying System restore was successful but the problem is still there. Yet it takes about 6 to 7 minutes to bring the network icon.

Any other help please?
Old 22-02-2009

Which antivirus are you using? Just upgrade it to latest virus definition and do a deep scan of your system. I think there would be some Trojan or virus that is creating the problem.

Also when you boot the system can you check what processes are running in the background? There may be any startup item as well interfering. By the way did you have network folders and printers selected under Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View.?
Old 24-02-2009

Yeah, even I think the system is infected. You should download any good anti-virus and anti-spyware tool and scan the complete system for virus / spyware infection.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: