Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Dual core processor not showing up correctly in task manager on WinXP

XP Hardware

Old 18-02-2009

Dual core processor not showing up correctly in task manager on WinXP

I have build up a new rig with Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 and Opteron processor. For some reason Opteron is showing only one CPU graph it seems ad if my system is not utilizing the dual core feature but task manager shows separate CPU graph for each core. Which CPU graph should i trust??? any idea?

Old 18-02-2009

What do you see in Device Manager under "Computer" entry??? Does it reports "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" or "Uniprocessor". If it reports "Uniprocessor" than you will have to make change in HAL, as it might have messed up things. You can also try to update your bios to 1.1 or1.4, i have come across some people who were running in to similar issue with the same board and they have mentioned that they were able to fix it out by updating their BIOS to 1.1. So first try updating BIOS and let me know if that makes any difference in your case. If it doesn't than i will suggest you the steps required for changing HAL settings.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > XP Hardware
Tags: , , , , , ,