Thread: Windows XP Pro system does not boot after ram upgraded from SD TO DDR

Windows XP Pro system does not boot after ram upgraded from SD TO DDR

I am having a Windows XP SP2 system. It is a old computer. There was a 256MB of SDRAM on it. I had upgraded that to 1GB DDR RAM. It is a single stick. But after adding the new ram the computer fails to boot. There is no respond at all. When I add the old ram back the system works fine. I want to know that is it possible for me to use both of them. Atleast I can use the DDR one. The system does not boot with the new ram. Thanks.

Check your motherboard specification. If that does not supports a DDR memory then forget to use that. You must have verified before buying the hardware. There are quiet less chances of getting the DDR ram work on your system if it does not supports it. SDRAM is used in very old computer and on them I am sure DDR ram does not work. You will have to replace that and buy a SDRAM. Or else it is a kind of waste of money.

Will it be possible for you to provide more information on your system. Like the exact motherboard model, the detail of existing SDRAM you are using, the new one that you bought and the slots which are available on your board. Also go in bios and see whether there is any related settings available for configuration of using different types of ram. There is a bit difference between SD and DDR ram. As per my experience there are very less chances that DDR ram will fit well on SDRAM slot. Many board comes with dual channel slots and they support both types.

That is correct without checking the right system specification it is recommended that you must not have purchased any new hardware. It is one of the common mistakes done by many. There is one more way through which you can get the ram work on your system. But there are two conditions. First your ram slot much have a option to support DDR stick and second you will need to upgrade your bios.

I had did the same some time ago. I was not aware about the internal specification which caused the failure. I had contacted a number of people. All of them said that the motherboard that I own does not really work. I added some more amount and purchased a newer motherboard. It is not so costly. I verified that my old processor will work on that or not. Luckily everything is working. The new board allows me to use 2GB ram.