Thread: Can You Partition External Hard Drive

Can You Partition External Hard Drive

I was thinking whether it is possible to partition an External usb hard drive to have both the NTFS and Fat32 partition? The TV that I am having with me only recognizes Fat32 file format and I want to play mp3 files and also show pictures on the TV. I also want to use the more stable Ntfs file system so that I can store my other files in it as well. So, will it be possible in Windows XP to create both file systems? Thanks for any assistance.

Yes, you can do it with the help of a third party partitioning tool such as like the EASEUS Partition Manager. It is a complete tool to perform any type of work on your disks. You can create, resize, resize and format your hard drive partitions very easily. In addition, it also has the ability to hide certain partitions. The application is compatible with hard drives in RAID as well.

Re: Can You Partition External Hard Drive

Yeah, thats absolutely correct, if you want to create a fat32 partition that is larger than 32gb in size then you will need a thrid party utility. Normally, Windows puts an artificial limit on the size, also note that fat32 has a file size limit of 4gb.

Download the all famous Partition Magic software that comes for free, and also allows you to repartition your hard disk without erasing the information contained therein. It allows you to merge two NTFS partitions and also recognizes the drives over 160GB, supports Windows XP and allows you to partition USB 1.1/2.0 external drives. It has different features such as merging two partitions, cutting a partition into two with the ability to set records in one or more of the partitions created, redistribution free space on multiple partitions, etc.