Thread: Windows XP fails to detect 1GB RAM out of 3GB

Windows XP fails to detect 1GB RAM out of 3GB

I had added a 2GB RAM Stick on my system. It was having 1GB before. Later on I checked in Properties there it shows only 1.7GB RAM. It is not finding all the ram. My friend suggested to add more ram to make the system perform beter. I thought adding a 2GB stick will make it more better. But XP fails to find all the ram and somehow it is using just 1.7GB only. How can I make it to use full ram attached to the system.

It looks your system has some kind of settings that limit the ram usage to 2GB. It is recommended that you locate the right settings for the same. You can find that in the bios. Go in BIOS and check all the options one by one. There would be some internal settings for RAM. XP is capable of using 3GB RAM at a time.

This is a weird issue. If your system has any kind of incompatibility or hardware problem then it must only show you 1GB RAM. The other 2GB stick must not be detected at all. I think there is something is bios which is limiting the ram usage as mentioned above. Also did you bought a proper ram. Means the one which is compatible to your system. Due to different ram configuration this type of issue can appear. According to me the only option that is left is to update your system bios.

I got the issue with Dell XPS 600. I contacted dell for that. I had added the ram from a near shop. Later on I found that the ram has some compatibility issue with the system and I have to buy a original hardware only. Due to different specification this thing appeared. I think there is nothing we can do here. You can check in XP settings if everything is fine. One thing you can try is test the ram in some other working computer. And if it shows the same type of thing there, the ram is not proper.