Thread: mouse and keyboard don't work in Windows

mouse and keyboard don't work in Windows

I need some urgent help with Mouse and keyboards on my Windows XP Media Center SP2 PC. The problem am facing is my Mouse and Keyboard works until windows load. As soon as it reaches to logon screen, they stop working. Same thing happens while booting in safe mode as well, they stop once safe mode is about to hit the desktop.

I’ve tried another keyboard/mouse as well but still the same result. When I go to System Recovery keyboard mouse works fine but not on windows. I tried removing all external drives connected to system except monitor and keyboard mouse but still the same result.

Does anyone know here what is going wrong? How can I fix this annoying problem? Please help me out of this.

Re: mouse and keyboard don't work in Windows

Hello friend, can you tell me whether you are using PS2 keyboard and Mouse or are they with USB Cable? Is they are PS2, did you enabled them from BIOS? If not that could be the problem. PS2 should be enabled first from BIOS to make them work. Also make sure that your system is not infected with any virus. First change the PS2 settings in BIOS and try booting, hopefully they must work now. Once you reach desktop scan your system completely.

I think Toshaan already said he tried various keyboards and mouse and none of them are working. So I don’t think there is anything about PS2 or USB. Probably there would be some Startup item that is conflicting with them. Hence you should try to boot in safe mode and if somehow you got to the desktop, type MS CONFIG in RUN and disable all startup item. Then restart in normal mode.

Yeah, that is correct. I already tried both USB and PS2 and none of them were working. Now as Abdulmajid suggested scanning, I removed my HDD and connected it with another computer. First ran CHKDSK and later scanned with update Norton Antivirus. Everything seems to be OK but the problem still persists on my computer. Also i tried again booting in safe mode, but as i said earlier, keyboard mouse still wont work when reach to desktop.

Any other help please?

I think you should try resetting your BIOS. Can you do this by opening your cabinet and removing/resetting cmos? It is usually a 3 pin connector near the cmos battery. If you find the jumper on pins 2 and 3, remove and place on pins 1 and 2 for a second or two and then back to pins 2 and 3. Just give it a try. Hope it works.