Thread: Acer TravelMate 800 laptop USB Power Surge

rafael Guest

Acer TravelMate 800 laptop USB Power Surge

I am using a Acer TravelMate 800 laptop. It has 4 USB ports. I also own a 320GB Western Digital Password external hard drive. When I try to connect it to the laptop I am getting a error on my screen. The error reflects some power surge on hub port. The usb has exceed the power limit. I had never seen this error before and now this keeps on appearing on my screen. I cannot use the hard drive. Is there any way to make this thing work. Thanks.

It is a common error. A usb port has a limitation of power usage. This is mentioned in the bios. If the usb uses more power then what is alloted to it the error appears on your screen. And the drive that you are using might need more power to run up properly. Try to connect your laptop power adapter and then connect the usb drive on it. And then see whether you are getting that error or not.

I had faced that on a 500GB external drive. It looks there is no fix for that. The drive ask for more power and the usb is limited by the bios. The same does not appear on a desktop pc. I tried to upgrade the drivers and even used different ports. But the error still remains constant.