Thread: This Device Cannot Start (code 10) on my new hard drive

This Device Cannot Start (code 10) on my new hard drive

I am facing a blue screen error from long time. I am getting that when I had added a new hard drive and then upgraded my system to Windows XP SP3. Somehow the system work fine for a few days but then started crashing. I checked in device manager. There were number of hardware that shows me a device cannot start error code 10. The same appears for the hard drive also. I think the upgraded version of Windows XP is not at all compatible with my old hard ware.

re: This Device Cannot Start (code 10) on my new hard drive

That is due to driver failure. After upgrade somehow your older drivers are affected. You must run a full system driver update. You can do that through the motherboard cd or simply download that from web. It is one of the best way to fix this kind of issue. The error that you mentioned appears when your hardware fails to work properly. But I think driver updates can fix the problem.

I am not able to understand this. The system was working well before. I checked in event viewer and there are series of error listed. The most important is the hard drive. If this does not work properly then the system might keep on crashing. I am going to for a clean format if it is not resolve by drive update. I hope the updates can make the system more stable.

Property Value
    Manufacturer Dell Inc.
    Model 0KD882
    Serial Number .HTKXT91.CN486436416199.

North Bridge Intel i945GM Revision 03
    South Bridge Intel 82801GHM (ICH7-M/U) Revision 03

CPU Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2300 @ 1.66GHz
    Cpu Socket Socket 479 mPGA

System Slots 1 PCMCIA

Memory Summary
    Maximum Capacity 4096 MBytes
    Memory Slots 2
    Error Correction None

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

I am also having problems wit Sound on my Laptop.Sound does not play from either Front speakers or head phone jack ive already enabled the windows option in the bios. ive looked everywhere and have tried alot of methods. the thing is when i have errors it makes sounds and when i do test it does to. the volume control also dosent show in the right corner i am guessing that is because i have no device. it would be greatly appreciated if some one can plzz help me fix this problem i Cant stand the scilence.

Before going for a clean installation the best thing you can do is download and run drivers update from scratch. You can visit the official website of your motherboard manufacturer and get all the updates. I had faced the same kind of problem on my Dell E1505 system. I had updated all the drivers and it started working well.

I had the same problem. I uninstalled the IDT driver (Have no idea when that driver showed up it didn't come with the laptop) Then went to Dell and downloaded their driver package from Sigmatel which was recommended for my dell latitude D620

http://support.dell.com/support/down...&catid=&impid=

I am running XP and this worked. Took many hours!