Thread: SONY DW-Q58A DVD drive Driver

SONY DW-Q58A DVD drive Driver

I have a old Dell XPS machine and I am not able to access the Sony DW-Q58A DVD drive on it. If I go to device manager and then in its properties, I get the following error message "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)". So I thought of reinstalling the driver again. But neithe Sony or Dell are able to help me and they are suggesting me to reinstall Windows XP which is a very long process. So, if I reinstall the driver then will I be able to get the dvd to work? Where can I download the drivers of this dvd drive, from Sony or Dell site? Thanks for any information.

re: SONY DW-Q58A DVD drive Driver

When you insert a DVD-RW disc into the DVD drive of a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, Windows XP does not recognize the disc. For example, you do not see any files on the disc. You may also experience this problem with DVD-RW discs that have been formatted as DVD-VR. Some consumer DVD recorders use the DVD-VR format. To solve this problem, visit this website - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818733/en-us

You can also try to uninstall the dvd drive in device manager and then shut down the computer. After that reconnect the device to another IDE connection by resetting the jumper pins. If this doesnt work then try to download the upgraded firmware version from sony website and then try to upgrade the dvd firmware and see if that works.

You can also try to delete the upper filters and lower filters in your Windows XP machine and see if that works, for same you can visit the step by step guide given on this link here - http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;314060

Deleting the upper and lower filters seems to have solved the problem for me. Thanks a million for the help.