Thread: Front panel connectors

Front panel connectors

I have got a tower which has a black wire and red fire at the front panel connector to the motherboard's front panel connector? So I was wondering which is the negative and positive one, for the power switch? I think that the red one is the positive and then black wire is the negative one, which is similar on a car battery charges? I have also found another front panel connectors as well and those each have 2 wires, like for example the reset switch, and they are blue and white, so again which one is positive and which is negative? The hard drive led also has one orange wire and other is white wire, which is positive and which negative? Then there is a micro sw., which has one black wire and one white wire, so which is positive and which negative? So can anyone tell me about this things?

Re: Front panel connectors

What is the model and make of the computer case that you have as well as which motherboard do you have? Sometimes, you might find a mismatch in the spam of the connector and the span of the interface of the front panel header. On motherboards like from Dell, HP, etc types, inside the wiring may all be 2 pin with 0.1 ince between pins. But one some computer cases, the SPKR wire will have 2 wires with 0.3 ince between them.

Re: Front panel connectors

I have got a Thermaltake VA8000B Series case and the motherboard is a GIGABYTE S-series Model # EP35C-DS3R. I just read the rest of your reply and didn't jump the gun by sending this reply and then another one. Alright, so when it wouldn't fire up the first time and few times later, it wasn't because I had the power switch backwards, your saying it doesn't matter which way it is? The only reason I'm asking is because in the mobo manual it stats the + and - on the pictured diagram of the front panel mobo connectors. I usually stick them on where the outer prongs the face is pointing outward, towards the end edge of the mobo. With respect to the inner prongs, for example, where the power switch would go, I point the face inward towards the middle or away from the edge.

It doesnt matter with the power switch polarity, because either ways it works. You just need to ensure that the cable goes on the right 2 pins. And incase the motherboard will not start then chances are you might have got the wrong 2 pins. You can check out the manual that I have found and some parts of this will be same to the manual that might have come with your computer case:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Upload...00_en_0426.zip