Thread: how do I import my old user settings in the new user account setup when I reinstalled windows?

how do I import my old user settings in the new user account setup when I reinstalled windows?

Something went wrong with my Windows XP system and resulted into continues restart as soon as it reaches the desktop. I tried out several things to fix the problem but no success. Finally I had to re-install windows to get rid of it permanently. Hence, without formatting the hard drive, I re-installed Windows XP SP3 which created a windows.old folder on my C drive.

Now the problem is I don’t know how can I import my user setting from old windows to this new one. Can anyone please let me know the step by step process for the same? Many Thanks.

Re: how do I import my old user settings in the new user account set up when I reinstalled windows?

Well the process i bit lengthy. Make sure you go step by step properly. Here is how you can copy a User Profile:

Open System in Control Panel. On the User Profiles tab, and under Profiles stored on this computer, click the user profile you want to copy, and then click Copy To. In the Copy To dialog box, under Copy profile to, type the location for the new profile, or click Browse to select the path. Click Change to open the Choose User dialog box, click a new user from the Names list, and then click Add. The new user name will appear in Add Name. Click OK to add the user as a new user profile on your computer.

Thats it. Before you carry out this procedure there are some requirements you need to take care such you should be logged in as the Administrator to
    copy user profiles. Also note that you wont be able to copy the account you are currently logged in on. You must log into another account.Here are some articles you might require for more information. Hope it helps.

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151/

Configuration of the My Documents Folder http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221837&sd=RMVP

HOW TO: Create a Custom Default User Profile: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q305709

Re: how do I import my old user settings in the new user account set up when I reinstalled windows?

Thank you for sharing this useful info. as I will be needing it soon also.