Thread: bidirectional communication

bidirectional communication

I got too many issues with Lexmark X4580 all-in-one printer running in Windows XP. The Spooler is not running and now I am told that I need to Enable Bidirectional Communications? What is this, please help me out. Thanks.

It might be a BIOS setting. So try to restart your computer and then press the key that allows you to enter BIOS setup and then look through the port settings for that option.It could be called "parallel" instead of "ports". Check for anything to do with printing, printer, parallel, connections, peripherals. I cannot think of any more right now. Or it is a USB connection?

Re: bidirectional communication

Can you click on Printers and Faxes and then right click on the Lexmark 4580 Printer icon and then click on properties. After that click on Ports, and then ensure Enable bidirectional support is checked, if not, then check it and click apply and then ok. Incase the Spooler is not running then click on Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Now you have scroll down and look for Printer Spooler and ensure the Startup Type is set to Automatic and it is started.

Which Firewall you are using? I have a Lexmark printer and am using it wirelessly. When I installed it, with the McAfee Personal Firewall then I had to set the Firewall to Open. When finished, then I changed the setting back to Tight and it is working fine now, I never had to disable the Firewall.

Can you try to disconnect the Lexmark Printer. And then unsinstall the Lexmark Software and before you restart, go into Printers and Scanners and ensure the Lexmark Printer as well as the Fax are deleted. Now get into Scanners and Cameras and make sure the Lexmark Scanner is deleted. After that restart and then use Explorer and delete the remaining folders for the Lexmark Software. Now clean your Temp folders manually and run Disk Cleanup and restart.

Can you tell whether the cable is wired for bidirectional operation? Can you try to disable bidirectional printing, normally the printer will still print, just sans error messages. Other stuff probably won't work. Test & see if that's the problem. If not, put it back. If printer works with bidirection off, then there's a problem in the cable and/or the connectors.