Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

XP Not Accepting Product Key

Windows XP Support

Old 24-06-2008

XP Not Accepting Product Key

Hi All
I have just done a reinstall on a friends laptop. He couldnt find his version of Windows XP so i thought i would just use mine.The problem i have is that when it comes time to type in the Product Key it wont accept the Key that is stuck to the bottom of the laptop. The laptops XP sticker say Windows XP Professional 1 - 2 CPU and my version of XP is Professional so why wont it work.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Old 24-06-2008

No matter both systems are Xp Professional, your friends laptop came with preloaded OEM version of Windows XP while you have retail version of the same. Let me tell you that XP CDs comes in different types as well as different versions. Because of Retail and OEM version, the product key on your friend's sticker will not work with your type of CD. Your XP keys will only work for that particular type of XPs. So instead of troubleshooting the (because it is not going to work any how) better check out the following article which may help you to get your friends product key:

How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-gb
Old 25-06-2008

Re: XP Not Accepting Product Key

You are absolutely correct Hasit. All Windows Product keys are meant for specific type and language of CD/license (OEM, Volume, retail, or full) and it comes at the time of purchase. Hence in case you have Xp Home Home OEM edition then its key will not work for any retail version of XP Home edition. Or vice versa.
Old 25-06-2008

Thanks Shenan Stanley for your reply it makes sense to me now. Would it be a stupid question to ask if you can tell me how to change my copy( which I believe is Retail XP Pro with service pack 2 ) to accept his product key. Would i be right in saying turn it into an OEM version

Thanks Guys
Old 20-09-2010

Hi I have just done a re-install on my dads laptop and used his xp disc but it is not accepting his product key would really appreciate some help on this one.
Old 20-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyB View Post
Hi I have just done a re-install on my dads laptop and used his xp disc but it is not accepting his product key would really appreciate some help on this one.
Well, you can try to phone call to Microsoft's free-toll number that may help you get sorted this issue. Or you can try to use the Windows Product Key Update Tool from here. The Windows Product Key Update Tool will make changes to your Windows installation to update your product key.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , , ,