Thread: Icons, taskbar, and start menu disappears - Explorer.exe

Icons, taskbar, and start menu disappears - Explorer.exe

When I open My Computer I cannot find anything in the same. Usually when you open my computer you can see the partitions and other icons on the same. But when I open it there is nothing. It is completely blank. Does anyone know why this is happening. I bought the pc and windows xp came pre-installed in it. I am using AVG antivirus and there is nothing detected. This started happening suddenly. How can I fix this thing.

RE: Icons, taskbar, and start menu disappears - Explorer.exe

Looks like some kind of virus infection in your system. Is your antivirus updated. Try to run some latest updates and patches and then check back. I am sure this issue will be resolved once you performed appropriate updates. Boot in safe mode and scan your system. If you are having system restore in your system run the restore and check once again. I am sure that will be enough for fixing the problem.

Re: Icons, taskbar, and start menu disappears - Explorer.exe

When you start your pc then type ctrl + alt + del and hit enter. In that go in processes and look for Explorer.exe. Click on it and then click End process. Then again go in File > New Task > Type explorer.exe and hit enter. It will launch the explorer once again and the issue will be resolved. If still you are not able to access then you have to format your system. This is a kind of virus problem. And in windows I do not think there is any utility available that can fix explorer.exe related problems.

It is a clear issue of virus. This kind of stuff does not generates on its own. Try to run system restore and then scan your system. I will advice you to use some good antivirus like norton. It is capable of keeping your system safe from most annoying virus. You must buy a yearly license of the same and keep it always updated. That is the best way to keep your system safe.

Try to run a repair installation of windows. I think that will not cause any problem with your internal files. You just have to perform a proper setup that's all. But still for safety you can keep the backup of your files on one place. For laptop is much easier to restore their system by running recovery while for desktop you have to perform the entire setup manually.

Your system is screwed up due to virus. It is essential that you must simply take proper data backup and format your system. You can use a live disc for the same. I think that is a good way of cleaning. When you will move your data back just check scan that properly. Or else there will be more virus issue. It is common with xp. It is necessary that you use a good antivirus tool for the same.

There is a tool available called as hijackthis. This software gives you a nice output on each and every application working in your system. You can simply find the location of that virus and delete it. The other most important thing which his left is cleaning the system registry. You can use a number of third party tool for the same. It will help you to wipe out unwanted entries from your system.

Did you tried system restore. Try that once. It is just a temporary solution. Because it will give your system a fix for short time only. There will be virus still in your system. You have to copy your data and format the system. It is really weird that the files and icons in my computer is wiped out. It looks like windows is still searching for the partitions. Just keep the window intact for sometime. If the icons appear then your pc is facing performance issue.

I got the same issue. When I open My Computer I am unable to see anything for around 2 to 3 minutes. And later on a search icon appear. Then the partition loads up. I found that the issue was due to my hard drive. It was getting slower day by day. I formatted my system and it worked fine. There was no issue at all. I think you must also do the same thing to fix your systems performance.

Same problem occurring on my end, I am exploring this as a potential to learn. I don't want to b-line this as I am not cassual user. There are a number of possibilities at work here, mine points to a memory leak, I can assume no malware as I have been closely monitoring tasks in task manager, h-keys for modified strings, added key branches and so on. I notice when the problem initiates is when I have intense applications of graphic and separate audio running.(i.e. If I run a game with sound disabled rather than muted it still occurs if I run winamp. If it were simply an audio or video failure I would lose or have degredation of one or the other.)Also to note, the computer is old, it has 512 memory and running xp,the graphics are fine, it is an intel chipset which is not flawless but considering this is a temp until i can get my RoG fixed without voiding the warranty. That one had a few defects from assembly resulting in hardware failure, /sadface With age comes instability,though I can fix it hardware wear and tear is immanent,I recovered it from someone who had actually spilled tea in it and damaged it, said person a younger family member who did not know better. At any rate I will keep posted on how to resolve this issue.

my main focus,is to make my result user friendly. I already know the fault is in windows memory management, maybe a simple toggle will help, maybe a minor restructure of explorer function. My advice is try updating to the latest updates,if it continues there in lies the solution. I refuse to use anything above sp1 on my own time because i know of many of the major faults that have not been mended, or stemmed from new fixes.

The price we pay for shelled integration is time.