Thread: check disk runs everytime I boot

check disk runs everytime I boot

Hi, Everytime I start my computer "check disk" pops up and says it is scheduled to run. Then I get "hit any key to cancel" which I do. Does anyone know how I stop this? Thanks

Re: check disk runs everytime I boot

I am also on the same issue. Whenever I start my pc I am getting chkdsk on the boot screen. It is simply so annoying. The system takes around 15 to 20 minutes to start up completely. I cannot find any option to stop it completely. Can anyone here tell me how to get rid of this problem and why does this chkdsk just come on the boot screen. I am stuck with the same. I need some help here to make my system work more better on boot.

RE: check disk runs everytime I boot

This is because there are bad sectors in your pc. The chkdsk check for the same. What information do you get once chkdsk is over. If there are errors listed then there is some serious problem with your system. Just constantly backup your data. Because in future if your system is down you will loss on your data. There are some third party advance tool also available that can help you to fix the problem.

Download and install HDD Sentinel in your pc. This is a nice tool that gives complete information on the health of your hard drive. Chkdsk only appear when windows is not shut down properly or if windows fine there is some problem with the drive sectors. While HDD Sentinel on the same helps you to find out the exact problem. I too think there is bad sector issue in your pc. Just run the software back again and then check back.

Do not cancel chkdsk. Let it run. It is important that you backup all the important data of your pc and then check back. It is rightly mentioned above that there are some serious hardware issue due to which you are getting those errors on your screen. Search for hdd diagnostic tool from the web and see what you get. This diagnostic tools are enough to give complete information on the current drive status.

I am using SeaGate tools. It has helped me to find health status of my hard drive. My drive was getting slow day by day and I was also getting chkdsk constantly on the boot. The tool said that the drive is having some kind of serious issues. I moved the data from it and after a few weeks the drive is dead. So it is essential to use such software get alert before the drive is finally damaged.

Hello, what you're experiencing is what Windows refers to as "setting the dirty bit" and what you have to do is unset that bit. Every time Windows XP starts, autochk.exe is called by the kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. Chkdsk /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is usually caused by a hard shut down or a power loss during a read-right operation on that particular drive.

How do I fix it, you ask?

Well, that's easy. First click Start> Run> bring up a command prompt by typing in "CMD" and type " fsutil dirty query d: ". This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type "CHKNTFS /X D:". The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another CMD prompt and type and now you want to do a Chkdsk manually by typing "Chkdsk /f /r d:". This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type "fsutil dirty query d:" and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive. Good luck!