Thread: svchost.exe application error xp sp3

svchost.exe application error xp sp3

I am having a Windows XP Service Pack 3 system. Since pact couple of weeks I am facing several svchost.exe application errors usually when I run Windows update. But today I am too annoyed. Since yesterday whenever I start the system I use to get an error message saying:

“Generic Host Process Services has encountered a problem and needs to close” followed by “svchost.exe Application Error. The instruction at "0x00df96bc" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

As soon as step through all of these, things settle down, and applications seem to function correctly, with the exception of Windows Explorer. When I display folders that contain photo image files as thumbnails, these start to display, but several do not, while others down the list do. I then get the same svchost.exe Application Error every time.

Do you guys have any suggestion what is wrong with this system? Any ideas or suggestion?

Sorry, I meant to say XP SP3 not SP1.

Test your RAM.

That was one of my first thoughts. In fact I have just replaced the
    original Dell Dimension 5100 1Gb RAM (2x512 modules) with 4Gb (4x1Gb) NECC
    Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz SDRAM. The problem persists, so I doubt that it is
    a physical memory issue.

Ok, seems like the problem fixed somehow automatically. Today just couple of hours ago i received notification of several HP printer/software updates. I installed all the updates. HP Photosmart Premier wasn't experiencing the same display problems that Windows Explorer was with thumbnails, but I decided to install the updates anyway. After installing the same when i restarted the system the svchost.exe Application Error message was disappeared.

Hi, I recently got the following application error regarding the svchost.exe.
    The instruction at "0x7c80aeb3" referenced memory at "0x80040119" could not be read.
    After I pressed OK then the desktop started flashing every 5 seconds. How can I fix this error using the command prompt?

Yes it does.

Can you tell me how I can do that from the command prompt? I can't use the Start etc. because the screen will start flashing every 5 seconds.