Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How to Activate USB drive if the administrator inactivated it.

Windows XP Support

Old 06-06-2008

How to Activate USB drive if the administrator inactivated it.

Hi friends,

I am in total confusion...

In my organisation the USB drives were not activated. But recently i got administrator access and tried to activate the USB drive. Now the device is detecting in the USB port and displayed the pop up message "new hardware detected". But i am not able to see this in the 'my computer' drives list.

Can anybody put some lights on this issue. The following things i did already.

1. i started many services in the 'services' section.
2. in Regedit--> USBstore , start value is '4'.
3. tried to install through 'new hardware found ' wizard. But its showing now drivers found suitable for the device.

Actually what would be the reason for this?

Thanks in advance,

Stanley

Old 06-06-2008

RE: How to Activate USB drive if the administrator inactivated it.

I don?t think making any changes in the registry is going to fix the problem in any way. What you need to do is visit the hardware manufacturer?s website, search the chipset model page and download the utilities again. Try installing the same and see if it makes any change. Apart from this I will also suggest you to check something has been been disabled, tap the F8 key on pc start, select safe mode, enter xp as administrator, edit the settings, restart pc and install utility...
Old 07-06-2008

Re: How to Activate USB drive if the administrator inactivated it.

Hello stanley2008. Let me tell you that as USB drives are a security threat hence you should never use them with systems in a business to keep away viruses. If most cases there is little actual business need for them. As your IT department to provide you access to USB drives if it's a real business need.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , , ,