Thread: Can't delete 0 byte file, with no file type

Can't delete 0 byte file, with no file type

I am having some very tiny files on my system. The size is simply around 0 kb. Now I want to delete them but it is not working. When I try to delete them it is giving me invalid file specified. I hope this are not virus. I scanned those files which are detected as appropriate. They are not threat. Can anyone here help me to locate solution for the same. I used disk cleanup but still the files are present in the system. I also tried a command line process to delete the files but that also did not worked. Can anyone here help me.

Re: Can't delete 0 byte file, with no file type

Those can be some temp files. Ample of them are created by different applications. Even Microsoft Office also create temp files that are used to restore the documents in case of crash. So the best thing you can do here is download and install CCleaner in your pc. This is a nice cleaner which is capable of wiping out all unwanted files from the system. It works really well. I am using this here and I use it constantly to keep my system clean. This is one of the best way to wipe out unwanted files from the system.

Try to boot in safe mode and then try to delete them. Some applications might be preventing the files to get deleted. While if they are not detected as a virus infection then it is not a big threat. You can simply ignore the same. Using a good cleaner is simply a wise choice in fixing the issue you are facing. But if they are not detected as threat then you can ignore it. I think that would be simply more better. Under safe mode very few applications works that help you to delete the files.

There is one more tool available on the web that can simply help to fix the problem. You can download a application from the web called as unlocker. Just download the tool and then simply right click on the file which you want to delete and click on unlock. You will get complete permission to delete the files. That is one of the best way to delete locked files. CCleaner can help you but if still the files are present in the pc then they can be some kind of threats.

I also got a series of this files on my pc. Those files were simply generating automatically and I am unable to find out what was the problem behind the same. But I had created a complete system image files through Acronis True Image. I restored the files back again and it worked. There was no problem at all. So in your case I think when you re-install windows xp back again the problem will be resolved. That is one of the easiest way to get rid of problem you are facing. Just run a clean setup back again and then check back. I am sure that will be helpful.

You used an application to essentially browse to a file using command (not cmd) and delete the file by its 8.3 name? Ok I've got exactly the same problem (had) and it took a few seconds to resolve once you know how. This has a 15 day free trial. Install run and navigate to your file, I used delete using short name and that's it, it went.

Witan #8

I've signed up just to thank you for the download link. I had the same problem with an undeletable file and wasted several hours before I came across your posting. The program deleted it immediately and so problem solved. Many thanks.

WHEN are you gonna learn to phrase that so that everyone knows WTF you
    are talking about!? I tried every damn windows program. and i couldn't get rid of it. EVERY DOS COMMAND AS WELL. So I booted to Slax linux os disc that i had, that had ntfs support, and i read about linux commands, and i finally deleted the gooddamn thing.

Rember linux is case sensitive, just remember that please. Here are some commands syntaxes like - cd /mnt/hda1/"Documents and Settings"/User & mount -rw /dev/hda1. This is to mount the hard drive as read and writeable and 'rm' is remove the file or delete. Be very careful using it however. It can be a real buzz-saw.

There is a free program called "Unlocker", that will do the trick. When installed, R-click the file and find Unlocker in the context menu. Just follow the simple instructions .