Thread: Page fault in non paged area

Page fault in non paged area

My pc just restarted on its own. And after that there is a error on the scree. The error is associated with Page fault in non paged area. I am not able to understand why the error appeared on the screen. I tried system restore here but nothing worked. I thought system restore would be enough better to fix the problem I am facing. I am looking for some help here to fix the problem. Can anyone guide me how to get rid of the problem. Thanks.

The issue is due to damaged hardware. You have to ensure that the memory modules installed in your system be damaged. You have to remove that and change it. If you are having multiple memory in your system then just replace that. There are some nice bootable software that can help you here for the process. You can simply use to check the problem you are facing. Just do this. Download Memtest from internet. It is a bootable scanner. Create a dvd from the same and then scan your memory with the same. This would fix the problem you are facing.

I am also having the same kind of problem. I tested the system with memtest and the memory scanning was fine. So the issue looks to be different. I hope there would be only software related issue. Because that is more easy to troubleshoot. The last thing I am going to do is format my pc and install windows xp back again. I hope that will fix the issue. Ample of time damage files are the common cause of bluescreen and I think fixing the OS will do the job.

I am here trying to restore my system in safe mode. But it does not looks to be working fine. The system boots file with all startup items. But somehow the normal bootup is affected and I am not able to get proper output from the seem. The desktop is just freezing and giving out a problem. I searched properly and found cfgwiz.exe is the file which is causing the problem. The file is associated with Norton Systemworks. I removed that and things are fixed. There is no issue at all.

Re: Page fault in non paged area

I don't have that file as no Norton software has been installed on this machine since I installed WinXP Pro 64 on it. I searched anyway, but no file.

I have been getting the "win32k.sys Page Fault in Non-Paged Area" crash since I upgraded the two monitors from 20" 1600x1200 to 24" 1920x1200 and installed Ultramon. I did check and find that my pagefile was way too small, and increased it to about 1.5 times my 8 GB of memory. No time to tell yet whether that will make a difference.

Next I plan to uninstall Ultramon.

After that I don't know. A page fault is not a fault in the conventional sense. It is operating system terminology for a signal from the CPU chip to the operating system that the currently executing process needs a memory page that is not presently in memory and has to be paged, or swapped in. If a page fault occurs in or for non-paged memory, that indicates a bug, either in the OS or in the application where the fault occurred. Any process can have non-paged memory, protected paged memory, and unprotected or writeable paged memory. The fact that the program identified in the BSoD is win32k.sys suggests that this may be a Microsoft bug. Win32k.sys is probably involved in running 32-bit apps in my 64-bit XP Pro OS. But I suppose it could also be indicative of a problem in one of those 32-bit apps.

It's just disconcerting that this occurred after upgrading the res on the two monitors. The only other change made to the system was installing the trial version of Ultramon, a utility for working with multiple monitors. Ultramon itself has not crashed afaik.

Oh yes, one more thing: I have ECC memory. That means Error Correcting memory. I really don't think this is being caused by the memory.

There is one more application which cause the same issue. It is called as
    Ultramon. You have to ensure that you must remove it. System restore can help you here only if there is a problem on the software level. Or else there is no option available to fix the issue. You have to check the ram. Bluescreen is also commonly caused due to memory faults. It is necessary that you must replace the sticks and then test the same back.

Quote Originally Posted by Twayne View Post
    Have you tried putting the res back to where it was and uninstalling
    Ultramon?
    Not yet. I will.

If your BIOS set to use ECC memory? Was it installed in the same
    timeframe as the above stuff? Do you actually NEED ECC RAM?
    This is a Dell Precision 690 -- a server grade tower. I don't think Dell even sells non-ECC memory for it. Yes, it's configured to use ECC memory. No, it wasn't installed around the same time as the monitor upgrade. It came this way from the factory.

Have you tested memory? Memtest is a decent tester but there are many
    others available.
    Some people have reported clearing up this problem by changing memory. That's really distressing because the error reported is an internal OS / app thing, not a true "fault." A page fault is a signal from the CPU to the OS to let the OS know that a memory page presently not paged in must be paged in for the current process to continue. In principle it has nothing to do with memory problems. But of course, Windows being Windows, anything is possible.

I think I'd start with looking at RAM, after putting things back as they were before you made the changes. Then report back here is no joy.
    It's a good suggestion. I'll do all of that.

I realize this thread is old, but it comes up near the top when googling this problem, so here's another link for anyone still researching it...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894278