Thread: Can't Add Fax Support in WinXP Pro SP3

Can't Add Fax Support in WinXP Pro SP3

I have upgraded to SP3 in my Windows XP installation and after that I noticed I dont have the fax support. I dont know whether it has happen due to SP3 but the problem started only after applying it. If I go into Add/Remove Programs and select Windows Components, then I check the fax support bo and run through the installation. It seems to succeed but the fax service is then listed as "Stopping" and "Disabled" and no fax printer is installed. If I re-run the same applet then the fax support box is still unchecked, telling me that the installation is not supported. Can anyone please help.

RE: Can't Add Fax Support in WinXP Pro SP3

Even I am facing the same issue under Windows XP SP3. The fax support has been uninstalled and I cannot reinstall it. Please help. Thanks.

Re: Can't Add Fax Support in WinXP Pro SP3

Can you provide as many methods to represent the error messages as you can. I have not seen any such problems but since every XP service pack to date has broken fax, it hardly surprises me. They might have managed to do it again. Also check that fax was installed and working normally before you applied SP3 and clarify exactly what changed after you did.

It looks to me that you might have security database corruption as mentioned in the below KB article. It could be a fairly common issue after an SP2 install it seems like the issues persists with SP3. Check the below article on "You cannot add a Windows component in Windows XP":

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/EN-US/

After doing so much troubleshooting with startup programs and services I noticed that removing all vesiges of the fax component, disabling non-ms services and then reinstalling the fax component, it is working now. After re-enabling all services, it continued to work, even after a couple of restarts for a few days and then it started giving me problems.