Thread: How to make a program default for all users?

How to make a program default for all users?

I have downloaded a MP3 player for playing my tracks instead of playing it in Windows Media Player because it slow downs my system. I tried making that MP3 player as default player for these songs by right clicking a file > and selecting Open With. I also did it by going to Windows Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types. But still it opens the file in Windows Media Player for another user accounts on this PC. The new downloaded MP3 player wont appear in the Set Program Access and Defaults options in Control Panel.

Can anyone please help me out with this? Many Thanks.

Re: How to make a program default for all users?

It is quit obvious that the changes you made in your account will not take effect in another user account because it is completely separate profile, right? Doesn't working fine in your account? I guess yes. Than what you need to do is simply log in to those other user accounts as well and make the changes you did in your profile. Thats it?

Re: How to make a program default for all users?

You can stick a batch file in the "All Users" Startup folder and when they logon the batch file will be processed and the file will be associated to the program you want. You could also do this with Logon Scripts. The batch file is quite simple, you can use the ASSOC command to do this:

assoc .mp3=yourchoice

To confirm the file type association that you use, at the command prompt when you are logged on and have the file associated to the desired program, issue the following command and take note of the associated file type:

assoc .mp3