Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

cannot login to support.microsoft.com page

Windows XP Support

Old 20-05-2008

cannot login to support.microsoft.com page

I am not able to login to support.microsoft.com page, ad I also cannot access the Microsoft Knowledge Base. I am getting the below error message

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage. I run "Network Diagnostics for Win XP" and I got the message:"Windows did not detect any problems with your internet connection over HTTP and HTTPS, but was not able to make a successful connection over FTP. The most likely cause of this problem is that firewall client running on your machine is blocking the necessary FTP ports".

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity
warn FTP (Passive): Error 12031 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
info HTTP: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn HTTPS: Error 12037 connecting to www.passport.net: The date in the certificate is invalid or has expired
info HTTPS: Successfully connected to www.microsoft.com.
warn FTP (Active): Error 12031 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: The connection with the server was reset
error Could not make an FTP connection.

Can anyone please help me out? Thanks

Old 20-05-2008

Re: cannot login to support.microsoft.com page

It might be a malware issue. You can try to look at Internet Explorer > Tools Menu > Options > Security tab > "Restricted Sites" and also at /system32/drivers/etc/hosts. This file, (with no extension) can be opened in Notepad. If microsoft.com is listed, put a # at the front of the line to comment that out.
Old 20-05-2008

Thanks for the reply, I checked everything. In the "Restricted sites" I dont have any restricted sites and in the hosts file the "microsoft.com" is not listed.
Old 20-05-2008

Can you try to clear all the temp files by going to IE > Tools menu > "Delete Browsing History"
Old 20-05-2008

I have already done this and I am still unable to login to microsoft support and help. Any other ideas?
Old 22-05-2008

The issue was solved by unchecking the "HTTP 1.1 settings" in Advanced tab in Internet Options.

In Advanced tab (in Internet Options) the "Enable FTP folder view" and "Use passive FTP" were enabled. I didn't change the browser IE7. I use the Windows XP Firewall (on (recomended)) in Win XP Pro SP2. I didn't dare to install SP3 yet, since I heard that it causes a lot of trouble. According to the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool my PC was clean (malware status).

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: