Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows XP Pro SP3 & Long File Names

Windows XP Support

Old 18-05-2008

Windows XP Pro SP3 & Long File Names

After installing Service Pack 3 on my laptop, I am getting some issues. When I copy folders for backup then I am getting warnings that some filenames are too long and cannot be copied to my Iomega backup drive. So the backup actually fails. It is an issue I have never got before. These same files were easily backup to the same drive just last week. Can anyone tell me what is changed in this SP3? Thanks

Old 19-05-2008

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 & Long File Names

Did you try to check for the overview of Service Pack 3. Mostly, its a rollup an there doesnt appear to be any different type of changes. Download the pdf from the below link:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...20Pack%203.pdf
Old 19-05-2008

Have you tried to ask the Acronis support team, what do they have to say about it?
Old 19-05-2008

Re: Windows XP Pro SP3 & Long File Names

The problem doesnt seems to be with Acronis. I am getting this same errors when I am simply trying to copy and paste the file. My issue is certainly does not appear to be something extra oridinary.
Old 19-05-2008

I think that it could be possible that the filename, the file or the folder is corrupted. Normally, the error message might be the closest that the OS can display but not quite correctly describe the real issue. Try to copy that file or that folder to a directory close to the root on the source drive, to minimize the path length. After that try to recopy to the destination and then change the name.
Old 05-09-2008

Long filenames issue

I'm also having a problem with long filenames in Windows XP SP3. I work with java, and the directory names used with Eclipse plug-ins get long as hell. But some applications handle them well, at least Java applications and installers do. I wonder if there is any registry-tweak or something alike to make Windows Explorer work correctly with long filenames, because it's a terrible pain having to rename every long-named folder every time that I have to manually delete or copy them.
What I do not remember is when the problem started, if it was after installing some SP2 patch or after upgrading to SP3. I just noticed it one day.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: , ,