Thread: Search Companion text search folder doesn't find all files

Search Companion text search folder doesn't find all files

I am having Windows XP Professional SP2. I have a folder on my system which has some files from Unix server. They are all text file that I can view in notepad. I had edited those files and saved without changing its extension. I had also used Word and other text editor software to edit those files. Now when I try to search those file it is not found in my system. I am trying to search them on the basis of text. And it looks to be not working really well. The indexing is not working really well with those files.

Re: Search Companion text search folder doesn't find all files

Looks like some weird issue in your system. Basically Windows is able to search all the files properly with the name. That is one of the easiest way to locate files. Below is a kb article link that has option to customize the search companion. I am sure that will be more helpful to you in fixing the issue you are facing.

How To Configure the Search Companion in Windows XP

Re: Search Companion text search folder doesn't find all files

Bond,
    Likely, the problem is that file indexing service on your XP computer has not added the files in question to the list of files it keeps for when a search occurs. To fix the problem, right click the file(s) that it cant find, select Properties, click the advanced button, click the check box by "for fast searching, allow indexing.....", click Ok, click OK. Run your search again and your file will be found.

File indexing is a good idea, but a very poor implementation on Microsoft's part, in the respect that the search results rarely are the same as if an actual search of the files occurred. Indexing is actually searching a LIST of files, not for actual files. Try this... delete a file, then search for it. You'll find that the file still shows up in the search results.

Microsoft needs to stop screwing with things that already work fine, and searching DID work fine....just a little patience required. However, if they aren't going to take my advice, they at least need to make sure the search tool isn't problematic before it is released.