Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

hdmp files -- can I delete them?

Windows XP Support

Old 15-05-2008

hdmp files -- can I delete them?

Atleast 30 percent of my hard drive is occupied with svchost.exe.Numbers.hdmp files. All this are located in the c:\windows\pchealth\ErrorRep\UserDumps. It seems to appear to be old reports on irregular shut down. Will it be fine to delete all these files? Thanks for any help.

Old 15-05-2008

Re: hdmp files -- can I delete them?

Yeah, you can try to run the Disk Cleanup that will help you to do that, just click on Start and then Run and then type "cleanmgr" without the quotes.
Old 15-05-2008

You will be able to configure to handle memory dumps in more than one way. If these dumps are taking so much space then deleting old one changes the setting. Go to Start > Control Panel > System > Startup and Recovery. Check under Write Deugging Information change to Small Memory Dump (64 kb). Alternatively for a Full Memory Dump place a check in the Overwrite box
below. Are you short of disk space? How large is your Windows partition and how much free disk space is there?
Old 15-05-2008

Thanks for the replies, I tried what you said, but the Disk Cleanup will not remove these files from the directory windows\pchealth\ErrorRep\UserDumps. So can anyone tell me how to delete them from that directory, in which they go back 2 years to when I purchased the computer.
Old 16-05-2008

For that you can use a software called Ccleaner. It is an alternative to Disk Cleanup which does a more thorough job than Disk CleanUp. Disk CleanUp has to be run for each user profile, whereas cCleaner only needs to be run once. Download it by searching it on the net and install it in your pc.
Old 16-05-2008

Also check for some errors in the event viewer. Check the article on "How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP" from the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308427/en-us

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: